Please sign in to post.

Clothing choices for Europe September 2016 - first week in October

We have a group of 4 adults going thru Europe in September - first week in October and I would like some information on clothing. We are planning to go with only a carry-on bag each since we have a wash machine available in most of our hotels or homes we have rented. We are starting in Zurich then thru Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and then leaving from Rome. We will be in coastal towns and near the Alps, so, I realize we will need "layers" for warmth and possible swimsuit or shorts for the coast. Most of the things we bring will be light-weight. I have read some guide books that say "don't dress like a tourist", most likely for safety and they suggest no tennis shoes because in Italy, for example, that is a fashion insult? My husband needs a lift in one of his shoes because of a shorter leg, so, that's all he wears for casual shoes. I was considering walking sandals that also go with a skirt and tennis shoes for myself to keep it simple.

I understand the suggestion for no clothing or T-shirts with advertising or home town logos, etc. They would not blend in. Are shorts acceptable for men? Being from Minnesota, we consider anything in the 60's to be warm enough for light weight clothing or sandals. I also read no Capris for women, is that true? They are very popular in the US for women and are light weight and easy to pack. The idea to not look like a tourist is curious to me, because we are and we don't mind, is it that big of an issue? Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted by
12040 posts

You will be identified as a tourist instantly by anyone paying attention, so except for a few rare exceptions, wear what you want and find comfortable and practical. Nobody will be insulted by your fashion choices.

For the Alps, September is usually still rather warm. I would simply bring a light windbreaker, which you may not even need. If the short term weather forecast indicates an unseasonable weather dip (not uncommon), just go to a store and buy something warmer to layer underneath. If you insist on carry-on only, then I wouldn't waste valuable packing space preparing for a low-probability weather event. Alpine towns usually have an abundance of sportswear shops that can meet your needs should the temperature suddenly drop.

Posted by
23267 posts

All clothes recommending need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Lots of people say lots of things. Our approach is to dress conservatively. Nice pants, knit shirts with collars, black shoes. No walking shorts cause they are not accepted in the cities and if your knees are not covered in a lot of churches. I don't wear a lot of clothing with logos in the US so why would I wear that in Europe. I don't like ball caps so I wear rimmed hats. White tennis shows are common but I prefer a good, waterproof, leather shoe. I use a lift and it works just fine. Capris are fine. There is a difference between blending in and standing out. I personally think it is important to avoid standing out. I don't totally agree that you will be instantly recognized as a tourist. First there are lots of tourists from many countries so, ya, you are a tourist. But my basic positions is - You cannot avoid looking like a tourist, just don't look like a stupid, American tourist. When the pickpocket is looking for his next mark and scans the crowd, hopefully he will pass over us looking for a more promising target. So far it has worked.

Posted by
5697 posts

You can read through the MANY posts in the packing section -- and then check the weather forecasts right before you leave to fine-tune your travel wardrobe. Keep in mind that you may have a washer available in your accommodations but you may not also have a dryer -- just a drying rack.

Posted by
27107 posts

I try to dress conservatively and respectfully, but I will not compromise on comfortable shoes. Lace-up, thick-soled for me. They definitely mark me as a tourist, because no stylish European woman would be caught dead wearing such shoes in the city.

I have never heard a female tourist say she wished she had taken fancier shoes to Europe, but I've seen plenty hobbling painfully over cobblestones in thin-soled shoes. I (stupidly) took thin-soled sandals on my first trip. Huge mistake. Crepe-soled sandals of the type made by Bass are better, but in my experience they are not as comfortable as good-quality walking shoes. I probably average about 7 miles a day of walking, and I can definitely tell the difference. Folks who walk a lot less can probably compromise a bit on the shoes, but remember the cobblestones, as well as all those museums with marble floors.

Posted by
3245 posts

Figure out what the temperature will be in Europe and wear what you would wear at home if you would be doing a lot of walking. It doesn't matter what you wear, the locals will know you are a tourist.

Posted by
29 posts

I agree with Frank. I know Bermudas arn't worn in churches. When I went to Germany I took three pair of pants and a lot of changeable tops. I wore stylish walking shoes and took ballet flats for more dressy dinners. I packed in a carry on for a 15 day trip and did just fine. One light jacket and one sweater. Wear the bulky clothes on the plane. Less is more - I didn't want to risk losing a checked bag.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you everyone, you have reassured me that with sensible choices we won't be offensive and I really don't want to be a target for a pick pocket. It seems that more, experienced travelers will bring something for a nicer event that would be of the appropriate style and for the rest of the time, be comfortable. That's kind of what I was going for. We have been to Italy before, but, it was on a bus tour and we were with 40 other tourists, so, there was no hiding it! This time its for a month and we will have to do laundry, which is fine and we do expect drying racks and will just have to plan ahead. I guess my main concern was trying to fit in the culture a little more, but, I figured there was no way to hide the fact that I was a tourist. As long as we are on the topic, any suggestions for mens pants that are light weight, but, look nice and can be washed and dried quickly? Brand or fabric type? Thank you .

Posted by
1829 posts

Men's pants: prAna
They are the very best for what you are looking for (not cheap but not outrageously priced either)

Posted by
8942 posts

I wouldn't take sandals, shorts or capri for Sept. and Oct. weather. It will be too cool most days for summer clothing.

Jeans are the most common thing you will see here. Permanent press blouses, or shirts, either short sleeve or long sleeve. Add a sweater or nice suit jacket. Comfortable tennis shoes or boots that you like to wear when walking miles every day are a good idea.

Posted by
1625 posts

I always use modesty as my guideline in deciding what to wear which includes well fitting clothes. I consider my daily activities, so if I am visiting the villages of Cinque Terre my outfit will be much different then my Paris Louvre outfit.

I was in Italy in early October and I wore my Capris (jeans and light cotton) everyday with Sandals and Sketchers. You hear so much about layering and it is 100% true! I wear Tank tops under mid length sleeve tee shirts, or under a button up shirt and a light jacket over that and just peel off as the day gets warmer (tie the jacket around my waist, stuff the shirt in my bag) then as the day wears on and it becomes cool the layers go back on. I take two pairs of Jeans (Dark blue and black or white) and there was no reason to wash them, you can spot clean if you drop something on them...and like a PP said, you will usually have a drying rack to dry clothes in the homes you have rented, give that a good two days to get completely dry.

I take clothes out of my closet and buy a few new pieces that I know I can use afterwards so no "travel clothes" for me. I have no idea what I "look like" as I was asked directions all over Europe.

I am a details person, my hair (well styled), scarf and jewelry (Simple but there) are part of my outfit. I hate to have clothes that I have to fuss with. Plus I want to look like me in my pictures not wearing stuff I would not normally use. So wear what you like and be comfortable as you will be doing a lot of walking, climbing, stepping and standing.

Posted by
10 posts

Hello,
My husband and I have traveled to many countries (8plus, some of them multiple times) and I can only speak for our travel wardrobe choices. We have only traveled in May and Sept/Oct.

I think it is smart to not draw attention to yourself, if you can help it. My husband was pickpocketed and he makes sure he keeps anything important in his front pocket or in hidden pocket in pants/shorts.

I am always concerned about my wardrobe and looking put together. I get a little obsessed to be honest. (If you are obsessed like me; then I can even tell you that I lay my "outfit" out with jewelry etc on my bed and take a picture so I know what to pack, and what can be worn different ways for multiple looks!!!.. this does help to not overpack) I'm sure I've lost a few readers by now!

My wardrobe: (I try to stick to a certain color scheme for our trip to make accessories/shoes etc. easier to select) I bring a pair of jeans, a pair of jean capri's, black capri/navy (depending on which color matches my color choices for that trip) ( have always worn capri's and totally acceptable). I bring a great black shawl from one of the travel stores, that I wear on the plane and tie around my purse if needed during the day. It's great for throwing over shoulders in churches/restaurants etc) I bring a jean jacket and a few scarves, a few cardigan sets, and several tops and a rain jacket that I can roll up. Most importantly are shoes.. I have had foot injuries and surgery, so I'm always on a mission for comfortable shoes. I bring a ballet flat from B.O.C., a merrill tennis shoe and a pair of merrill or mephisto walking sandal (which you can buy cheaper usually in Europe). A few cute sundresses and you are good to go. I've seen shorts on women, but i would pack a longer version, if you wear shorts. I also pack an Umbrella that I can collapse in my daytime bag. A crossbody bag is very important so you have better control for safety. (We've seen people have their backpacks snipped with scissors by the Louve in Paris)

My husbands wardrobe: (I don't lay his clothes out and take pictures!! ha!! I'm not that crazy!) A pair of jeans, a pair of black slacks ( I found on a travel site, that don't wrinkle) , a pair of black shorts and khaki shorts, short sleeved polo shirts, a long sleeved shirt or two and a lightweight all weather North Face jacket, a pair of merrill tennis shoes and a pair of black loafers.

On the coast there are tons of places that sell beautiful linen clothes if that is something you like.

We have really seen about everything over the years. The main things that make people stand out as tourists, are the name tags/badges, new white tennis shoes, people who wear their front (suppose to be worn under shirt) pouches with $ etc. on the outside of their shirts or so full they stick out, (so they obviously draw attention), tshirts and big travel vests stuffed to the max. .. Makes me chuckle thinking of some of the things we've seen that scream tourist!!

I think you have to be aware of your surroundings and have common sense when traveling. Of course it's hard to not draw attention when standing on a corner looking confused and at a map etc. which we have done many times.. ..but for the most part people are very kind and willing wherever you go to help you out and are not there to take advantage of you or any of your belongings.
Jody

Posted by
16893 posts

I've not heard anyone say "no Capri pants" for women in Europe. They are what I bring for the majority of travel and I've never felt out of place. It's certainly still warm enough for them in October in Croatia and Rome (at least for us colder-home people), since the average high temp is usually in the 70s. If Roman ladies weren't wearing them, then plenty of other tourists were, probably including some from Germany, Austria, etc.

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I have traveled frequently in Europe; our trips are usually in the spring (April-May) or Fall (September-October). Last year, we did a two week Rick Steves tour that took us from Paris to Switzerland to Italy and return. We traveled with 22-inch bags and each of us had a crossbody "purse" as well. You're getting all the right advice: pack light, bring layers, get the right shoes. I took items in black, grey and red (2 pairs of long pants, 3 pairs of capris), a black sweater set, 2 or 3 lightweight long-sleeved shirts, and about 3 short-sleeve tops. One pair of sandals, one pair of slip-on shoes (both black). A pair of tights to wear under my slacks when in the cooler climates, a silver down vest from Costco that packs into a baggie. A dress that folds up small in your suitcase is great in warm weather (Italy). In terms of cosmetics and toiletries, we did some experimenting at home, and only took what we needed in smaller containers. I was always comfortable and well-dressed. Don't worry about the tourist thing: if you are friendly and reasonably well-behaved, you will be approachable. We found most people in every country we've visited have treated us well.

Posted by
439 posts

Don't worry about what people say you should wear. We took a RS tour in 2015, on an off day, I took a picture of our tour guide, our bus driver, my husband and the asst tour guide. Out of the four people, the only American was the asst tour guide. She was wearing a lovely skirt & top. Tour guide & bus driver, both European, both wearing jeans. My husband, another European, was wearing shorts.

Posted by
3941 posts

No capris for women?! I guess I'm in trouble then since that is almost all I wore last year in France in early Oct and the year before in Italy in Sept!

Posted by
518 posts

Blending in and looking nice are all great, but in terms of your fashion being of "offense" to any local, I think that's where behavior goes a long way. Learning to speak a few words of the local language, being courteous and respectful of local culture goes much further than high fashion. But as far as fashion is concerned, comfort is no. 1 (of course, mind the rules with regards to shorts/tanks in churches, etc.) and towards that end, keep in mind that just because you're comfortable wearing a certain pair of shoes/clothing here at home doesn't mean you'll be comfortable in them over there, because you'll be walking much more, and on a variety of uneven surfaces and you'll be subject to a greater variety of temperature changes.

Posted by
588 posts

No capris. Crazy. I wear capris on all my trips. They are usually black because I stick to a color code-- black pants and capris from Chico's Zynergy line (dry overnight), reds royal blue and black tops, rain jacket, a fitness fleece from LL Bean. Two pair of shoes. Duluth Trading Co Buck Naked undies - dry overnight. All in one suitcase carry on and one RS backpack.

Tank tops and shorts are not modest enough to for churches. I do see men wear long shorts and jeans. Remember denim is heacpvy and doesn't dry overnight but you can wear them for 3 days easily.

Posted by
15582 posts

I've been to Paris at least 2-3 times in the early fall. Once, I worse sandals nearly all the time. Once I brought only sandals and after 2 days, I couldn't stand the cold any longer and bought a pair of sneakers. By the time another week had passed, I was back in sandals. If you're planning to go to the opera, you may want something nicer, but no one will stare in you're in sneakers.

I found that I like to make an effort to dress a little smarter in some European cities, so I bring more "conservative" slacks (and capris), blouses instead of tees, and always wear a scarf. You can buy pretty ones there for a few euros and they make nice souvenirs. Many men wear them too. Locals (men) don't generally wear hats, but they aren't out in the sun all day every day. IMHO health is more important than anything else. But if hubby's wearing a ball cap, then no scarf, please.

For layers, consider thermal undies - lightweight, not bulky.

Posted by
3696 posts

The issue with the capris reminded me of a post a number of years ago from a guy who wondered whether he should be wearing them in Europe.... as I remember it went to hysterical levels:)

I just wear the same things I wear at home... I am a skirt or dress girl and wear the same things in Europe. Some fun jewelry and scarves and a basic color theme. I travel light, but definitely do not want to look like a frump... for me clothes can be part of the fun of traveling. If I am not going to dress fashionable in Europe... then where???

Posted by
2527 posts

"f I am not going to dress fashionable in Europe... then where???" Fashion and me....ha!