Please sign in to post.

Best womens' boots for city walking and hiking during rainy autumn season in Europe?

I am taking an extended trip throughout Europe this Fall (mid-October through early December). I will be in Scotland, England, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Turkey. I am looking to buy one pair of new boots that can handle all the weather patterns (rain and cold) as well as be comfortably worn for several miles during hiking and city walking. We will be walking all the time, and don't want to buy more than one pair of shoe. I have Chaco sandals but think it may be too cold for those? Would anyone suggest Timberland's 6-Inch Premium Waterproof Boots?

Posted by
100 posts

If I were you I would go to a backpacking store like REI and try on a large selection of both the boots and hiking shoes. Once you have narrowed your search and got an idea of your shoe size and style, I would go to the Internet and see if you can find the same product cheaper. I am planning an extended around the world backpacking trip and am torn between the hiking shoe or boot. Both fit me wonderfully and are comfortable on or off the trail. I have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes, a pair of Lowa Renegade boots, and two pair of Salomon boots. All I love. My choice probably will be the hiking shoe as they are lighter weight but come with a good vibram sole, are water resistant, but when worn with a heavier sock will probably be just as warm as the boots.

Posted by
13934 posts

I agree with trying on a bunch of different pairs before you purchase. I would also buy a pair of Smartwool (or other merino wool) socks before you do any trying on. I love the Smartwool socks but also picked up merino wool socks last year at Costco and they have been terrific. I think it was 4 pr for $12-15 and they have been wonderful. I do not think winter stuff has been stocked yet at my local one, so that is why I am suggesting you do an immediate purchase of Smartwool socks so you can fit your boots with proper socks. I would plan to take 3-4 pair of wool crew socks (wear 1/pack 2 or 3)

The hiking boots I currently have and really like are New Balance but I got them because they come in a wide width. They might not fit your foot at all!

I would look for a waterproof (not water resistant) boot, probably ankle high, without an aggressive hiking sole (no lugs or other things that would not be needed on pavement and just make your boot heavy). When you get them you should start walking in them and try to get at least 5 mile walks in wearing them.

I would probably still throw in another pair of shoes, perhaps a waterproof tennis shoe type.

Posted by
715 posts

I agree with Limberly. Seek out an REI or EMS store I. Your area and try on several pair. Not sure I would want to spend my day in a pair of Timberlands.

Posted by
8374 posts

I wore my Ahnu waterproof hiking shoes on my trip this summer and they worked great! Comfortable for both city and country walking/hiking. I wore these everywhere. I stepped in a deep puddle with them and my feet stayed entirely dry.

I purchased mine at REI

Posted by
15 posts

I did a walking trip in Ireland, 7 to 11 miles per day, I had a pair of Vasque 7375 ankle top gore tec shoes from REI, they have performed really well slogging in mud, lots of rain, very comfortable, relatively light wt, and can fit orthotics.they have lasted a long time.
Cheers, enjoy your trip

Posted by
4154 posts

I have Ahnu Montara boots. They lace up over the ankle and provide great support and stability. I wore them on a 6-week trip to Istanbul, Greece and Italy last fall. They were great on all kinds of terrain, in the rain, through puddles and also great for the many times I simply stood and gawked. I saw lots of obvious tourists in Greece in casts and slings. All I could speculate is that they wore inappropriate shoes for what was under their feet and got those injuries due to lack of stability.

As many have suggested, I tried on boots at REI, found the Ahnus to be the most comfortable, read reviews and ordered them in the blue color I wanted. I managed to snag that pair in my size online for 1/2 price from Athleta of all places. I wasn't so lucky with the gray pair I recently bought. Everybody had them at the same price so I just got them from Zappos.

They look great under long pants. One fun thing is that the right size in those boots is 1/2 size smaller than I wear in their lower ankle height ones, and the Montaras make my feet look smaller, too. From now on until my feet change or they change or they disappear, I will wear those boots on all trips.

Posted by
92 posts

I love my Chaco sandals, but there's no way I would take them on the trip you are describing. (I didn't even take them to London and Paris last September-October.) Barefoot in November doesn't sound like fun to me. However, you could check historical weather data and decide for yourself if temperatures and weather conditions are likely to be favorable.

I agree that I would get to an outdoor store (REI, EMS, et cetera) posthaste, with my Smartwool hiking socks in hand, and try on every single brand they have until you find a brand that is comfortable for you. (Mine is Lowa but I almost bought the Salomons.) Tell them all about your trip and they will help to advise and fit you. You likely will want to invest in a different insole than what comes in the shoe/boot. Taking care of your feet is not a place to economize.

Features I would not compromise on for your trip:
-waterproof membrane (Gore-tex or similar)
-leather uppers that you can further waterproof (ask at REI but I think I use Nikwax)
-Vibram soles or other "grippy" soles for traction in all conditions, including wet
-good support (arch/ankle)

And I would buy them NOW so you can break them in. Seriously break them in.

If you were just going to be doing city walking, you could possibly get away with a lower-cut hiking/walking shoe. If you're doing any amount of hiking, and considering you are looking at fall/early winter, and the UK where you're likely to get wet, then I'd probably go for the hikers/boot style, so you have ankle support.

I would take more than one pair of shoes on this trip. I also agree with the advice to take 3-4 pairs of Smartwool hiking socks with you. Good luck, and have a great trip!

Posted by
89 posts

Another vote for Ahnu Montara. I wore them in Austria and Switzerland last fall, for city walking and walking on mountain paths. It rained almost every day but they kept my feet dry and comfortable. Also they are not at all clunky-looking like many boots are, and are quite attractive with slacks. My only criticism of them is that they can be slippery if you step onto metal plates in the sidewalk, but perhaps newer models have changed the sole to address that.

Posted by
5 posts

These are great suggestions! Thank you! Only problem is I don't have an REI or EMS anywhere near me. Are there any other stores you'd suggest to go try on a large selection of proper boots? Maybe Outdoor World?

Posted by
8374 posts

If you don't have a store nearby, use an Internet site such as zappos that allows for free returns. Several of us have suggested Ahnu hiking shoes. Order a pair in your usual size. When they come, try them on for fit. If it works, keep them, if not, use free return and try again.

Posted by
13934 posts

I googled Outdoor World since I am not familiar with it, so is it in California? If that is correct, online they have a pretty slim selection of hikers...Timberland, Merrell and one Teva. I would go with the Zappos suggestion as they are excellent about free returns. If you go to the store, go with the idea that you are just trying on and you are NOT going to buy at this time! And perhaps order 2 different brands. The Ahnu's are really nice looking but I have not been able to find a style I can wedge my wide foot in. Same with Keen. And Merrell. Your foot is going to be entirely different from mine.

There are REI stores in CA. My closest one is 2 hours away but I would drive that far for a shopping expedition. Heck, that's the closest Target, too, lol!!

Posted by
89 posts

I live out in the sticks with no REI or other specialized boot store nearby, but often just a good-quality general shoe store will have a decent selection of Keen, Merrill, Ahnu, etc.
Generally if you google the brand name of a shoe, the manufacturer's site will have a "store look-up" page where you can identify physical stores near you which carry that brand. This is the one for Ahnu: http://www.ahnu.com/store-locator

Posted by
985 posts

Jen - since you don't live near travel stores bring the stores to you! Zappos, Allegria, and Keen offer free returns. At one time I had five different pairs of shoes here in different sizes and just returned the ones I didn't want to be credited back to my credit card. I like the Teva De La Vina low boot - comfortable with my own orthotic inserts and waterproof. I liked the fit so much I ordered the same style in the higher boot when REI put them on sale for 1/2 price.

Posted by
81 posts

Has anyone ever tried Blundstone boots? I have been coveting a pair for a while now. One style is warm with a wool liner, waterproof and has a sole that is has great grips. I have not been able to find my size in the style I want yet so until I do, I cannot try them. If anyone has tried them for travel, please share your experience to help me make up my mind.

Posted by
196 posts

I like to travel to France & Switzerland in October and have had a pair of Timberland White Ridge waterproof mid hikers for years now and it is the only shoe I wear on a daily basis while traveling in the fall (I have a pair of black loafers I wear to airports and special occasions). These are also my winter shoe here in Milwaukee. I love them but it looks like they have been replaced by Timberland for men (still looks like they are available for women, though). This year, I just finished spending 6 weeks in Ireland, France & Belgium from mid-June through the end of July and I wore a pair of Salomon Eskape GTX low hiking shoes (also waterproof) and they were as comfortable as can be. As you have seen from the responses, shoes are such a matter of personal taste, it is hard to pick the "best". The only thing I will say is try to make a decision soon because it is real important to break in any new shoe or boot before you go. Sounds like a great trip!

Posted by
5 posts

Great! I have ordered a pair of Ahnu Montaras, two pair of Timberland hiking boots, and a pair of Merrells. Thanks for all the help and suggestions- much appreciated!

Posted by
3941 posts

I'm on my 3rd pair of Blundstones. They do need a little breaking in if they are the first time you've had a pair. I sold shoes for 12 years and when we first started carrying Blunds, I didn't understand why they were a big deal. Then I got a pair. And I was sold.

Easy on and off (great at the airport - and the style I have don't have metal shanks, so they don't need to come off, unless the airport wants you to remove them). Not 'waterproof' per se...they say they have limited openings to let water in...I have NEVER had any of my 3 pair leak. I wear them Spring, fall and winter (too hot for summer). Thru slush and rain - never an issue. I wouldn't wear them for hours in extreme cold (I have Bogs for that), but they are fine for shoveling the driveway and about town, and I can put heavy socks on in them. As they are ankle boots they offer ankle support. I have worn them for 8-10 hour days travelling with no foot fatigue. I've had the 510 (original) and a pair of the chisel toe (which had an issue with the toe cap, so they gave me a credit) and currently have 550 (a bit heavier sole and leather lined). They are starting to wear, so I'm going to go back to the 510 original.

And, they look great with jeans (and casual pants, some even wear them with skirts!)

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks, Nicole P, for the info about the Blundies. I have been looking at the 566s, but cannot find them in my size. I can find the 510s in my size, but they are not waterproof like the 566s. I can wait for a while to find the 566s as I do not need them for a few months. What I would really like to do is order both from Zappos and then choose then one I like the best but they only have the 510s in my size. Good to know that they are so comfortable.

Posted by
3941 posts

ukkrazy - I've never had an issue with any of my Blundstones leaking. Even the 'non-waterproof' ones - and I've worn them hard and thru lots of wet slushy messes. They used to put a package of Nikwax in with them (not sure if they still do) or you can get a tube of Nikwax to help keep them looking good and to waterproof and condition the leather and keep it from drying out.

Posted by
4 posts

@jenwebster89 -- I'd be interested to know which shoes you went with and how you are fared with them. I'm planning a 14-day trip to Ireland in early/mid September 2016. Ideally, I'd like to travel with just one main pair of shoes that can work for light hikes in the country but won't be too clunky/sporty for a night out in Dublin. For those who suggested the Anhu Monterras, what do you think of the Chenery (http://www.ahnu.com/women-boots/chenery/1009553.html?dwvar_1009553_color=BLK#start=12&cgid=women-boots) style? It's the same waterproof leather and ankle support, but with a dressier look. I'm just wondering if the sole is sturdy enough for hiking? Also, does anyone think fleece-lined leggings would be too thin for this time of year in Ireland? I hate the feel of wet jeans.

Posted by
5 posts

I ended up purchasing Merrel's Eventyr Bluff Boot and LOVED them. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/eventyr-bluff-waterproof/21573W.html

The boot served me well in the cold, rain, etc. of the U.K. I'd recommend getting medium thick wool hiking-style socks for them.

Also, I thought at first they were too narrow but they break in beautifully after wearing them a few times. I wore them about 60% of the time during my 6 weeks in Europe. For the other days I wore a pair of Ahnu waterproof black flats that were amazing! They're called Ahnu Penny Pro- found them at Nordstrom rack for $30!

With these 2 pairs of shoes I walked miles a day in rain or shine and on roads, hiking trails, etc.