Please sign in to post.

Best Comfortable Walking Shoes For Men?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are trying to find the best walking shoes for him for our next trip to Prague in Europe in just under 2 weeks time.

I did find this list of walking shoes, https://www.top9rated.com/best-mens-walking-shoes/ and he does like a few pairs listed there but we aren't sure which ones would be best for him.

I know that Prague has a lot of cobbled streets so they need to also be comfortable for him as we are going to be walking a long distance throughout our vacation. Would be grateful if someone could recommend us a pair from that list?

Thank you very much, Meg

Posted by
2707 posts

You are two weeks away, so forget buying on line. Run, do not walk, to a store that carries quality shoes such as Ecco, Clarkes, etc. This knowing you need more than two weeks to break in a pair. Another option would be a good pair of athletic shoes such as Asics which require little break in. Better yet, at this late date, pull what you have out of the closet that feel good and make do with what you have. Buying shoes this late is very chancy. If you do, take plenty of moleskin!

Posted by
11507 posts

Wow was just about to post same thing as Alan..

TWO WEEKS. . you have to have some shoes NOW so he can break them in.. . I would never endorse ordering shoes online unless you have a like 2 months to send them back if they are not comfy or fit (ordering online is difficult for shoes.. a pair that is comfy on my hubby may not be comfy for your hubby)

Get hubby down to the mall , find a good walking shoe type shoe store ,, and get some shoes for hubby.. and wear them in..

My hubby found his Rockport loafers comfy.. ( and they look a little less staid and boring then some of Rockports lace up type shoes)

Also he liked his Sketchers ( yes. for men.. he was surprised how comfy they were ).

He also takes some running type shoes.. not white blob ones, they are black and grey.. not sure of brand he is out in them now..

My hubby hates shopping for clothes and shoes.. seriously hates it.. but I manage to get him out about 6-8 weeks before a big trip to get him some shoes.. its the one thing I cant buy without him there. .

Posted by
23267 posts

This is crazy. This is absolutely the worse possible way to find or buy shoes and your time is short.

...we aren't sure which ones would be best for him........

The best ones for his is the shoe that fits him the best. Unfortunately all shoes, even in the same size, fit differently because all feet are not the same. I am a BIG fan of ECCO as the most comfortable, best fitting walking shoe, for ME!!! He needs to go to a good shoe store and try a variety of shoes. And he needs to spend some time breaking them it.

The other critical item is the socks. You should use a min of a middle weight wool sock and wear those socks when shopping for the shoes.

However, I believe, this is the best walking shoe ever made ---http://us.shop.ecco.com/outdoor-men-everyday/ecco-track-ii-low-001944.html?dwvar_001944_color=00741&green=1098F563-E15F-5979-A914-6ECEA9257651

Posted by
1078 posts

I am a big fan of Merrell shoes, since I have started wearing them 6 yrs ago my feet have never bothered me.

Posted by
2527 posts

Frank's best ever shoes are super....but despite trying, don't fit my feet. Quality shoes, broken in, DO make a positive difference, especially if you are not used to walking a few miles every day as we do while in Europe.

Posted by
2404 posts

I have more than once put on a pair of SAS shoes and done a 10 km walk with absolutely no problem.

Posted by
8440 posts

Frank I have a pair of those Eccos too. Great shoes.

meganjobson, at this point, the best walking shoes are whatever pair of shoes he currently owns that are the most comfortably broken in. Brand names and models are irrelevant if they don't fit his feet well and aren't broken in.

Posted by
908 posts

I have 3 pairs of Eccos and they work well for me. However with a high instep, they required some break-in, especially since on some our trips, I wear/take only one pair shoes. Stan is right, your husband may want to use shoes that are already broken-in. Frank, definitely a good shoe.

Posted by
4 posts

Wow, thank you so much for all your replies, brilliant community here :)

From reading the comments here and speaking with a few friends, hubby likes the Dr. Comfort ones listed on that site as the best ones.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Posted by
347 posts

Donald, just bought my first pair of Merrell shoes. Wife surprised me and bought their sandals too. Seem comfortable and reviews are good.

I usually just wear running type shoes by mfgs like Nike or new Balance. Going to try these out on our NYC trip in September in anticipation of our 3 week Ireland and Scotland trip that they were really bought for

Posted by
722 posts

The manager at our local shoe store recommends SAS. He says that he doesn't even have to break them in. My friend likes them as well. I chose a classic looking pair of Eccos that fit me perfectly. He told me they only come in one width which is a little wider than the normal American "D". His claim was that Ecco fits the "typical European man". Not sure if that's true but my ancestors are from Switzerland. These will take some break-in time unlike my friend's pair of SAS shoes.

Posted by
2404 posts

One nice thing about the SAS shoes is the number of sizes and widths they come in. One friend used to do a weeklong, 240 km walk every year in Denmark. His feet would swell during the week, so he had 3 different sized shoes for the week - size 13,14 and 15. I imagine that he might have increased the widths also.

Posted by
513 posts

For more than a decade I walked the 4Daagse marches (a four day, 100 mile event) in Nijmegen NL. I ALWAYS wore New Balance walking shoes. The ones I prefer are in brown rough leather, but they have a wide variety of styles and colors available. I prefer them because although some other companies try, only New Balance produces walking shoes in different widths that comfortably fit my big feet...

BTW: I also have a pair of Eccos that I have taken to Europe for about a dozen years, as well as a more "conservative" pair of Rockports that I sometimes take, depending on the events I plan for a trip.

Posted by
2 posts

Just got back from Paris and Antwerp. Lots of cold weather (>40 degrees) and cobblestones. My Sketchers worked great. $65. Zero snob appeal. Not much to look at (They are essentially black sneakers.), but they were warm, comfortable and excellent for walking. I walked a lot.

Posted by
63 posts

I wear Finn Comfort shoes. They have a wide toe box and great arch support. I've worn them for years and love them. Not cheap but worth every penny imo.