Please sign in to post.

Allbird Tree Runner Report London-York March 2023

My daily shoe at home is a pair of Allbirds Tree Runners, in a limited colorway, "Lux Honey with Cream Hush sole" which I would call 70's Harvest Gold with a cream sole. I live in Chicago, work downtown, do walk up to a mile and a half at a clip outdoors for my commute on lightly neglected suburban pavement. I wore them all winter, and they're not the waterproof ones, which was maybe dumb, but does get you to be a bit more mindful of where you step. A soaked wool shoe is not something you really want. My only other complaint about them is that they can be a bit slick on certain pavements when wet.

It was without a second thought that I brought them to the UK, and they performed pretty well. I should note I am a large middle aged man who works a desk job and it shows. In 10 days, including departure averaged 5.2 miles a day and 12.5 20 step flights of stairs (this was only somewhat skewed by climbing St. Paul's 522 steps). Weather was, uhm, somewhere between damp and wet, and temps were between 30F and 45 (one day we got the 45 for like an hour). My feet hurt after a two day stretch where we did 14.5 miles and 49 flights of stairs. Heels mostly, but again, middle aged, heavy middled, heavy stepper. Much like the MCU's Loki, my feet are burdened with glorious purpose... or at least a purpose and me.

I'm going to agree with their copy that they are great for travel. I think I might like something a bit more grippy going forward, and water resistance (nothing is really water proofed, in my experience). No discernible odor though I don't have especially stinky feet. I wear socks every day, so it's not like my feet are against the woolen interior. I only brought the one pair of shoes, and we didn't really go anywhere dressy (is anywhere really dressy anymore?).

I would caution against a colorway like the discontinued Honey Lux, as mine got some kind of dark stain fairly early in my ownership, and despite running through the washing machine, it never really came out.

The Wool Runner Mizzle looks like it might be the right place to upgrade for me, but maybe the Trail Runner Mizzle, my shizzle.

I want to recommend Rock 'em Socks. I've never had a sock as good as theirs... despite being a bit fussy about their care. Just the right grip and cushion, and it doesn't hurt that they have licenses for all the dork stuff I love.

Posted by
5503 posts

I love the Mizzles! I have found them to be quite waterproof and they are warmer than other athletic type shoes. I'm not sure I'd be happy with Mizzles in very hot weather, however.

Posted by
200 posts

I like the Tree Dasher series. Both types have more cushioning for long days of walking. They have become my “go to” travel shoes. I think both styles come in Mizzle for cooler, damper days.

Posted by
310 posts

funny you should mention all Birds. I as looking at the Tree Runners today. I've had All Birds for maybe 6 years. 2 currently in the closet. I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Tree Runner (don't know if original or 2) My thinking is the Tree Runner 2 would have enough cushion for lots of walking.

I'm not a fan of the Mizzles. Tried a pair a couple years ago. You may have heard Oregon has a bit of rain on occasion. The Mizzles felt like it trapped the moisture inside the shoe so it was clammy.

I've not heard of Rock em socks. Will take a look

Posted by
490 posts

I wear the tree runners as my gym shoes or for walking days in warmer climates.. I have the wool loungers and runners in the winter. So does my partner. Even their flats breezers are my extra pair of shoes for evenings. Basically we are an almost entirely Allbirds shoe shop at our place lol.

Posted by
282 posts

I am an All Birds fan. Love my Tree Toppers (high tops) but they are not especially grippy on wet cobbles, so I got a pair of the Trail Runners. They are not quite as cushy, but are doing great so far in Sicily. I brought my Tree Toppers as well, and a pair of wool runners for “dressier” needs, if any (they are old and not great for more than a mile or so).

I am not a fan so far of the Mizzles. They don’t fit quite right.

My only complaint is durability, at least with the older shoes. Soles and insoles seem to wear fairly quickly, woven fabric is looking a bit ratty now even after a wash. But mine are maybe 4-5 years old (trail runners are new so we’ll see how they do). Was hoping for more life expectancy but maybe I am off-base on that.