Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Brussels?

We're visiting Brussels and areas surrounding in September. We'll arrive by train at the Midi SW station and plan to stay at least 2 days. First time visitors! Can you suggest interesting neighborhoods to stay in? From other posts, it sounds like car rental is a pain, so any advice on this is welcome also. Ideally, we'd like to visit friends in Mont-Saint-Guibert, and take a day trip to Bastogne. Renting a car for this may be the only way to do these visits?

Posted by
12 posts

Hi sjlannoo, although you will be arriving at Midi, the area around the station is not so nice, so perhaps don't stay there. I am not sure what you consider an interesting neighbourhood. Many people stay somewhere between Central and the Grand' Place for the sake of convenience as it is near most of the tourist attractions and there is a range of types of accommodation. Ste.-Catherine is another area in the centre of the city, but leans a bit more towards restaurants and bars (that appeal to locals). The Sablons (Place du Grand Sablon, Place du Petit Sablon) is an upscale area (think antique shops, chocolate shops, antiques market on the weekends); the Louise district is a bit out of the centre but has elegant shopping and plenty of hotels. Finally, the European Quarter is a bit sterile in parts but can be good value for money as the hotels are nice (catering to the European public servants and business people), but on weekends when the Eurocrats are not there they drop their prices so as to fill rooms. There are certainly other areas to stay in but this I think is a good range of areas for you to start from.

Lavandula

Posted by
7365 posts

When we need a car near a European city, we try to find a soul-less Business hotel on the edge of town, that has a parking lot or a garage. But in Brussels this will make the downtown sightseeing more difficult. Presumably you are going to train to Antwerp, Gent, and Bruges.

It's World War II but because you'll have a car you might be interested in the chilling Nazi site Fort Breendonk, near Mechelen.

Most trains to Brussels let you go to any of the three stations, even with a change to a local train if needed.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you both for your replies and great ideas! I'll be following up, and really looking forward to seeing this beautiful country.