Please sign in to post.

Travel to Belgium and Netherlands Christmas 2021

Hello,
We're a family of 4 (including 2 young adults ages 18 and 19) planning a trip for Christmas 2021, arriving and departing from Amsterdam (25th to 31st, 6 nights)
We're trying to figure out a simple itinerary, we've been in Amsterdam before (we haven't been anywhere else in the Netherlands), and we've never visited Belgium, we'd like to break our trip in 2 separate homebases, we're thinking Brugge (3-4 nights) and Amsterdam (next 2-3 nights).. We're looking forward to the Xmas markets, and the ambiance of these cities, and perhaps visiting other places nearby, and/or perhaps considering also other possible homebases.
Also, we're trying to avoid renting a car if possible (troubles with parking during Holidays), it seems like a good idea to get a 3 day Benelux Eurailpass, right now they're offering a bit of a discount due to Black Friday...
Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated in advance!
Thank you!
Alex

Posted by
9462 posts

You do know that right now in the Netherlands, everything (shops,museums, restaurants) has to close at 5 pm except for grocery stores and pharmacies ? Are you aware of all the current Covid restrictions being implemented ??

Take a look in the Netherlands forum for some background. I am less aware of the situation in Belgium, but am not sure if it is much better.

Posted by
104 posts

Hello Kim,
Thank you for your response...I did not know of these new strict restrictions in place... I read a bit in the Netherlands forum and yes, it seems to be a major problem... all our family is vaccinated, including the Booster shot (3 in total with Pfizer) but we don't have a European covid passport with QR code, so not sure how that would be handled in trying to go to a restaurant, etc... Earlier this year I travelled to Iceland, Tenerife and Portugal and unlike all the horror stories that we heard and read about Europe, the trips were very smooth, we felt safer than in the US to be honest...
So now I'm debating what to do... perhaps it's best to travel at another time...
Alex

Posted by
104 posts

All right, I have cancelled the trip.
Too much uncertainty this year... Thanks Kim for bringing it up to my attention, and for sharing the Politico article on the other forum.

Alex

Posted by
50 posts

I’m in Paris now and enjoying it and able to do everything.. and the health pass takes only minutes to get and there are hundreds of pharmacies to get the health pass.. we are heading to Brussels tomorrow via train for 24hours and the health pass from France works there as well..again some restrictions but not as bad as the Netherlands..

Posted by
515 posts

I applied for the French health pass beginning of September, and it took 4 weeks to get it. However, they have changed the method several times.