Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Belgium

In July, we are flying into Brussels, taking the train to Ghent where we are spending 2 nights, then back to Brussels for another 2 nights. Within these stays, we will be taking the train to Brugges, the Hague and Delft, and then training to Amsterdam from Brussels at the end. Would it be more cost effective to purchase train tickets as we go or would it be cheaper to purchase a pass (I know we most likely have to have a reservation for the Brussels to Amsterdam leg) ?

Posted by
4684 posts

I don't know about what passes are available for international services, but for the journeys within Belgium, Belgian rail offers a 10-journey ticket (known as a Rail Pass) for 78 euros that covers ten one-way journeys within a one year period. It can be shared between more than one person as well, although then each person will use one of the ten journeys each time they travel.

Posted by
32752 posts

Are you saying that you will make long day trips to Den Haag and Delft from Brussels, and then go to Amsterdam where you will be right next to Delft and Den Haag?

Is that the wisest use of several hours of train travel?

Posted by
16893 posts

I would not recommend the Eurail Benelux pass for this trip and with or without a pass, it's cheaper to avoid the Thalys-brand train. It does make more sense to visit the Dutch destinations from a Dutch home base. Even if you have a good deal on accommodation in Brussels, I would reconsider that part of the plan.

Posted by
4 posts

yes, i was struggling with the train trip to the Hague and Delft. We are taking a river cruise which leaves out of Amsterdam so that was the point of ending in Amsterdam. Any suggestions for another day trip in Belgium that can be done by train?

Posted by
32752 posts

A few suggestions:

Antwerpen
Bergen op Zoom in the Netherlands just across the border from Antwerpen
Mechelen
Brugge/Bruges
Gent/Ghent -where you will already be
the coast for the Coast Tram