Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

I will stay in Bruges four night in May and then travel by train to Luxemburg for two nights. Then to Strasburg for three nights and then to Paris. I plan to book tickets through Rail Europe for each destination. Is booking through Rail Europe for each city the best plan?
Please share your thoughts.
Thank you

Posted by
4044 posts

Compare prices offered on Trainline, another commercial ticket-seller, or on SNCF although its website has become awkward to use.

Posted by
5728 posts

In Belgium and Luxembourg no reservations are necessary or even possible on the vast majority of domestic services. They are certainly never needed given the frequency of service.
It is a turn up and go railway system.
Ridiculous on those countries systems to be using the services of any third party. It is impossible for a third party to be offering better fares, more likely the other way.
Also in Luxembourg all domestic transit (bus and train is free), so you only pay to the Belgian border station.
For French rail bookings use the website sncf connect.
For simple journeys like these I do not see why there is any perceived need to book through aggregators.

Posted by
5381 posts

No, Rail Europe is NOT the best plan. Rail Europe is a travel agency, not a train company. You will pay a lot more if you buy through Rail Europe and their information is poor.

Buy from the companies that actually operate the trains.

Posted by
32735 posts

if you qualify for the extremely cheap Belgian senior fare you would never get that from a different country's network or any third party