Please sign in to post.

Train help

Will be traveling by train from Osnabruck, Germany to Brussels, Belgium in October. I have been doing some looking for best train connection time, etc., but would welcome any helpful hints on best website, route, etc and how far in advance should one book this type of ticket. Keeping in mind we will do several short train trips also, in the 2 weeks between Amsterdam, Osnabruck and Belgium. Thanks

Posted by
2487 posts

It's too early for the schedules for October, but checking at the Bahn website for an ad ramdom date in June you have the choice between tracking back to Amsterdam and changing for the Intercity Direct or the high-speed Thalys to Brussels, or taking a German Intercity service to Cologne (Köln Hbf) for a connecting ICE or Thalys service to Brussel. The latter would give you a change of scenery.
Tickets with the ICE service can be bought at the Bahn; those for the Thalys must be bought separately at their website. For both options advance-bought tickets come with considerable discount.

Posted by
19963 posts

www.bahn.com is showing trains available for sale in October with a single change in Cologne for 34.90 EUR pp in just under 5 hours, the fastest and most direct route.

Posted by
295 posts

Ok thanks a lot. Will check this out and will know if October is showing yet or not.

Posted by
139 posts

I would echo the bahn.com advice, they have an app that's very useful for trains inside and outside of Germany.

Posted by
307 posts

I would also suggest Rail Europe.

You can purchase all of your tickets including the high speed/ICE/Thalys tickets. Spend enough money and they ship for free. We purchased our tickets about two months our from departure. But I looked at train schedules ahead by inputting a date in the 60-day window.

Just as an FYI - if you use the Thalys, it requires a reservation. They will assign you to a seat.
The other tickets are usually open and you just have to choose your train and take it.

We went both first class and 2nd class. Seats were nice in either case. there is more room in first class, especially if you are taking luggage. Just check your prices; sometime the upgrade is only a few dollars.

Posted by
295 posts

Ok, thanks everyone. We have our tickets and printed them out. Went with the via cologne route from Osnabruck to Brussels. Tickets and prices all shown and available for October on the DB site.