Please sign in to post.

Netherlands/Belgium itinerary

My husband and I are planning 7 nights in Netherlands and Belgium in August and I wanted to see if our itinerary is too ambitious. We have a round trip flight to Amsterdam, and our plan is to spend 3 nights in Amsterdam, then a lazy travel day to Bruges, maybe stopping in Antwerp for a few hours on the way. So nights 4 and 5 in Bruges, then night 6 in Ghent and finally night 7 closer to the airport - maybe Leiden?, before flying home the next day. I have travelled a lot in Europe (spent a year of university in Barcelona) but have never been to either country. We tend to like to walk around, sit in cafes/restaurants and see the sights, but we're not huge museum or ticketed attraction people. I usually hate to only have one night in a place but want to see both Bruges and Ghent without being too far away from Schiphol on our final night. Thoughts?

Also, I've been looking through the Netherlands train site and my question is whether we need to buy tickets in advance. For example on our day from Amsterdam to Bruges, we won't have an agenda and don't necessarily want to be tied to a specific train schedule but on the other hand don't want all the trains to be booked. Thanks!

Posted by
1758 posts

My feeling is you're doing things in the wrong order. Here's what I recommend:

Hop on the train at Schiphol and head immediately to Bruges or Ghent. Stay three nights in one location and day-trip to the other. There's no reason to change hotels. Personally, I'd stay in Ghent and day-trip to Bruges (which is what I actually did when I went to Belgium and the Netherlands), but either way is fine.

Then head back to Amsterdam for your remaining four nights.

You can stop along the way if you want, in both directions. You mention Antwerp, and I actually think you have to change trains in Antwerp, so that's simple enough. Also consider a stop in Rotterdam, Delft, or Leiden, three very different places that are great for walking around and enjoying cafés or a nice lunch.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
7900 posts

Go straight to Bruges the day you land at Amsterdam.
You can get a train ticket to Bruges which requires a change in either Antwerp and Brussels on the day you arrive. You would only buy this ticket in advance if you know for sure that you're flight is arriving on time for you to catch it. Otherwise just wait until you get there . The only trains that sell out and that require reservations are the fastest ones operated by Eurostar which only stop at Brussels or Antwerp.
Spend 3 or 4 nights in Bruges or in Amsterdam. Keep just two hotels stays and just do day trips if you have energy. The first night and 2nd day could be jet lagged where you want to sleep past breakfast depending on how long your flight was

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both! You're obviously right and such a good suggestion to start in Belgium and end in Amsterdam. This alleviates a lot of problems and makes for a more leisurely trip to just have 2 cities in which to base ourselves. Thanks!

Posted by
55 posts

Hi, that sounds like the trip my partner and I are taking first last few days in Aug and first week of September. We're planning on arriving in AMS and immediately taking the train (liesurely) to Ghent via Antwerp, spending 4 nights there and day tripping to Bruges and Brussels. Then planning to return to AMS for a few nights and leave for home from there. We have a few things that we will plan (Anne Frank House, some free walking tours in each city, Gravensteen, canal tour, etc.) but want to keep time aside to just wander and have some beer and taste the local cuisine. Enjoy your trip!