Please sign in to post.

Museums

We are traveling to Belgium in May. We would love to see a museum or 2. Is it best to buy museum tickets before we go or is it ok to just buy them same day as we would like to visit?
We are visiting the usual, Ghent, Bruges , Antwerp and Brussels .
Thanks for your responses!

Posted by
6788 posts

For these cities, I see no advantage in buying museum tickets in advance. For the most popular attractions in cities that are overwhelmed with tourists (eg Barcelona, Granada) then yes, but I don't think you'll have any trouble in Belgium.

Posted by
15807 posts

I would agree with David, Julie. We didn't have an issues with long lines at the museums we visited and didn't buy any tickets in advance.

Posted by
7356 posts

On our first Bruges trip, there was a strike that closed some of the museums, but not all. So there was an advantage to not having a ticket ahead of time that we couldn't use!

Posted by
101 posts

Thanks guys!! We missed a few while visiting Spain last year and I didnt want to make the same mistake this year.
Again, thanks!!

Posted by
1005 posts

I agree that you don't need to buy tickets in advance. My favorite museums in Belgium are in Brussels, particularly the Royal Museums of Fine Art. There are three different museums in the complex and they are all excellent. The Rockhox House Museum in Antwerp is also excellent, mostly because it is relatively small so it's a compact, "greatest hits" type of format. If you love books, the Museum Plantin-Moretus in Antwerp is a fascinating look at the history of printed texts. You may even get to set type or print a sheet on an ancient press yourself if the volunteer docents are on duty.

Posted by
101 posts

Thanks for the info T . I'll be sure and check them out.