Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Bruges

Hi - We'll be in Bruges December 24-26. We have a reservation for dinner on Christmas Eve. But I'm wondering if anyone has insight into what the city is like on Christmas Day. I've read that it's a ghost town and nothing is open, but I've also read that shops and restaurants are mostly open. Anyone have any insight about which is accurate? Also, any recommendations for what to do while in Bruges over the holidays? Thanks

Posted by
3049 posts

I haven't been in Brugge during Christmas but most European towns shut down entirely on Xmas day. Many on the 26th as well. However Brugge is very touristy so I'm sure SOME restaurants and souvenir shops will be open, but there won't be a lot to do (there's not that much to do in Brugge to begin with).

If you're worried about being bored, you could always go into Amsterdam for the day...

Posted by
1974 posts

Living just 40km from Bruges I never have visited it during Christmas, but several times during Boxing Day (for Belgians usually not a free day, so shops are open) and other days in that period. Don’t be afraid to go to a ghost town those days as Bruges is actually completely overrun by visitors as most have their Christmas holidays coming for the very popular Christmas market. But knowing for Christmas ask the place you are going to book your hotel, B&B or restaurant. In case the Christmas market is open you don’t have to worry getting bored. I can’t imagine it will be a real ghost town on Christmasday as I think it will still attract visitors.