Please sign in to post.

Budapest - Brussels itinerary

We will in Europe for 15 days this summer, flying into Budapest and out of Brussels, using a Eurail pass to get from one place to another (I know that is a lot of ground to cover in 15 days!). What would you recommend as an itinerary? Which cities to visit? How many days in each one? (note: We have previously visited Vienna, Prague, Berlin, and Amsterdam, but would be happy to revisit any of them if there is time).

Posted by
16893 posts

Rob, I think you haven't received any suggestions because the question is so broad and so subjective. The continent is your oyster. You probably need to read about a bunch of places, decide that you want to see all of them, then start whittling away to get the number back down to size. The fastest route is through Germany, in the direction you have already been, but you could certainly plan a route through parts of Italy and/or Switzerland and/or France. If planning to use a rail pass in France, you need to make a plan and to reserve well ahead for TGV trains, which really limit the number of places for rail pass travelers. There's lots of train info you could use at http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains, but choosing where to go is the first step. Figuring out how to pay for it comes later.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

With this Eurail Pass and 15 full days, I would suggest Budapest, Vienna, Frankfurt, Paris, and Brussels, all of which are on trunk lines. Paris Nord station goes direct Brussels. Frankfurt to Paris Est direct. Vienna to Frankfurt direct, Budapest Keleti to Wien Westbahnhof.