Please sign in to post.

Brugges experiences Sept 2015

We arrived in Brussels from the US and immediately took the train to Bruges. Stayed at the Patritius Hotel which is #2 in Rick's book. We cannot say enough good about this hotel. Eva and her husband could not do enough for us. Great breakfast. On a quiet street. Great location. Fairly priced for what you get. When you walk to the Markt from the hotel, stop at Daphne's chocolate shop, SUD Italia deli/lunch place, and the Brazilia coffee shop...you'll walk right by them and they're all next to each other. Rick's recommended restaurants were fine; we ate at several. Did the river boat tour through the canals for a good view of the city. Rick's city walk worked well.

Posted by
5211 posts

Hi TMikeporter,

Thanks for the report!
We are planning to visit Bruges next May.
What other cities did you visit while in Belgium?

Posted by
345 posts

Priscilla and others,

My husband and I visited Bruges in May, 2013. We drove into Belgium from our hotel near Lille. My suggestion would be to try to avoid any of the holiday weekends In May. We felt like we were in a Belgium Disneyland on steroids. There were so many people/shoppers. Everyone wanted to do the canal tour, visit the central plaza area, eat moules and frites, drink beer and then buy chocolate and lace.

We did contribute to the craziness by doing all of the above listed things. Both of us enjoyed the canal tour. The architecture was very interesting from the water. We did not enjoy the restaurant in which we ate...a very snarky waiter! No I can't remember the name.

I would like to return to spend a night or two. I don't know if my husband would be willing or not.