Please sign in to post.

Brugge or Ghent?

It is 6 of us ages 15-37 we had some obstacles as we arrived so now we are trying to decide which town to visit. One or the other. Suggestions? Thank you

Posted by
9100 posts

How long will you be staying in the region, just a day???? Both places are stunningly beautiful but if I had to pick one it would be Bruges, there is more to see and do. If you'll be around for a few days to can easily see both. They are very close to one another, just one train stop away.

Here's a taste of Bruges:

http://youtu.be/s-BYMPMhjpU

Posted by
51 posts

We leave on Friday afternoon. Originally we were going to spend one day in Ghent, one in Brugge and one Brussels. We arrived later than anticipated and our apartment was far from the airport. Due to the time we landed we had to take an expensive cab ride. Therefore we are thinking we will do one or the other in regards to Brugge or Ghent. The lady we rented an apartment from said Ghent is for younger people. Brugge is for older people lol

Posted by
15582 posts

I am definitely in the "older people" category and I prefer Ghent. It's between Brussels and Bruges so you can do day trips to both with easy train rides. In the evenings, the Gothic buildings and bridges are floodlit and the old center is beautiful. Another plus is that lodgings are definitely cheaper in Ghent. Ghent is a university town which is probably why you were told it's for younger people. I thought Bruges was much more touristy than Ghent . . . but well worth a visit.

Posted by
51 posts

Thank you we are on the train to Ghent. We decided to just go for it and are going to both. We will be in Brussels on Christmas Day for the markets. Hopefully we can find enough stores open over there. Thank you for the help

Posted by
134 posts

Just being curious.
How did you find you find your trip to Belgium?
Did you also visit Liege, Tournai, Namur, Mons, Chimay, Bastogne, Saint Hubert La Roche and the Ardennes area?

Posted by
4637 posts

Ghent is a bigger town with university. Beautiful. Somewhat like enlarged Brugge with fewer canals. Just my impression. I did not count them. Ratio natives versus tourists is on the side of natives. Brugge is smaller and ratio is vice versa than Ghent. Brugge lives on tourism. Deservedly. You can do a tour of brewery with tasting in Brugge. That spiced my stay in Brugge. It seems to me that I saw more young people in Ghent; it is of course a university town. Tourists tend to be older therefore majority of people in Brugge seems to be older. But there is something to do for everybody in both towns.