Please sign in to post.

Brugge or Amsterdam during Pentecost weekend 2024?

Unknowingly, I booked (6) days of travel to Belgium/Netherlands during Pentecost weekend, which lands on the first three days of my trip.

We are coming from the Rhine area of Germany, then to (Brugge or Amsterdam) and then flying out of Amsterdam back home to the US. Logistically it makes obvious sense to go to Brugge first, then to Amsterdam, and leave from there.

We love quaint towns and are looking forward to staying in Brugge, but I'm concerned it may be a little "too" quiet during Pentecost weekend. Is anything happening there? Festival, event, anything?

Brugge is a must do for us. Should we go during this time or should we spend it in Amsterdam first and then Brugge after the holiday weekend? The decision is tough because going to Amsterdam first will require (6) hours of additional travel round trip. Any thoughts?

Posted by
1312 posts

“ We love quaint towns and are looking forward to staying in Brugge, but I'm concerned it may be a little "too" quiet during Pentecost weekend. Is anything happening there? Festival, event, anything?”

I’m not sure why you would think that Brugge would be quiet during the Pentecost weekend. Brugge is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Belgium, if not the most popular. It’s never quiet and it certainly isn’t quiet during a so-called “long weekend” when lots of people will be free from work/school/etc.
The same goes for Amsterdam by the way, so it doesn’t really matter in that regard.

If you fly out of Amsterdam, I would definitely end your trip there. Or at the very least arrive in Amsterdam the night before you fly out.

Posted by
9 posts

I'm trying to better understand what is really going on in Brugge that weekend. I'm reading on line that pretty much all businesses are closed except maybe a few restaurants and pubs. Sounded to me like it would be better explored when things reopen. I haven't been there, or to any country during Pentecost, so I just don't know what to expect other than what I'm reading.

Can you please share any details on what might be going on during that time? Are there any festivals, etc, in Brugge? I haven't been able to find any info.

Thank you.

Posted by
6901 posts

If anything, Bruges will be busier that weekend, not quieter! The Monday is off in Belgium, Germany and mostly off in neighboring France (idk about the Netherlands), so it is a perfect time for a long weekend in Bruges for residents of these countries.
With tourism being such a key activity in Bruges, I would not expect a lot of closures. Certainly not enough to warrant wasting 6 hours on trains to and from Amsterdam.

No festivals that I know of, by the way. Bruges has a procession for Ascension, but nothing for Pentecost - not a major holiday these days...

Posted by
1978 posts

One of the favorit things Belgians, more specific Flemings like to do is going out for dinner in the weekend, so restaurants and the many sidewalk cafes won't be closed. Especially during those long weekends it will be busy in Bruges, certainly with good weather.

In Belgium shop owners are free about opening times, but in general hardware stores and fashion shops are closed only on sundays, nevertheless some fashion shops are open. Tourist shops will be open anyway, so no worry Bruges will be "too" quiet.

Posted by
15810 posts

Doesn't look like it was quiet this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6nXsH_IWmc

We've been in Brugge on Ascension Day - which is a VERY big deal in that city - and it definitely was very busy, although there doesn't look to be any big events happening on Pentecost similar to Procession of the Holy Blood.

Have you found the tourist site for the main museums? If not, here's an idea of what's open or not on any given day:
https://www.museabrugge.be/en/visit-our-museums/plan-your-visit

Monday is a normal closure day for many - but not all - of the museums. I see that the excellent Groeningemuseumis open on Monday. More good news, Sint-Janshospitaal is scheduled to reopen this month after a long closure for renovation (closed on Mondays.)

And here is the city's tourism website inclusive of all attractions:
https://www.visitbruges.be/en

I see the Jeruzalemkapel (that's a very interesting chapel) is closed Pentecost Sunday and Whit Monday but open on Friday and Saturday.

I wouldn't worry but if you are still at sixes and sevens, contact the tourism office and ask the question:
visitbruges@brugge.be

Posted by
1312 posts

“Can you please share any details on what might be going on during that time? Are there any festivals, etc, in Brugge? I haven't been able to find any info.”

I’m not sure I understand why you keep mentioning festivals. For many people the attraction of Brugge lies in the quaint streets, the squares, the water, the churches, the Beguinage, the chocolate, the lace shops etc etc.
There isn’t a festival during Pentecost, but that doesn’t mean there is nothing to do.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for your input. This is exactly why I cam to this site for help as I was getting conflicting info otherwise. I decided to stay with my original plan and stay in Brugge during this time.

All the best!

Posted by
27 posts

I just came looking for similar info, but from other's responses, it sounds like it'll be a fun time to be in Bruges. And, even better, it looks like the museums that are typically closed on Mondays are open on Monday, May 20.

Posted by
184 posts

We were in Bruges on Easter Sunday last year. It was hopping!