Please sign in to post.

5 days in Belgium

We are headed to Belgium from Amsterdam in late April and then flying out of Brussels back to the states.

We are trying to decide whether to just stay the whole time in Brussels (less packing/unpacking) and do a day tripto Bruge, or to spend a couple days in Bruge and then a couple days in Brussels (2 nights Bruge, 3 in Brussels).

Ideas welcome!

Posted by
13946 posts

I'd vote for nights in Bruges. It's a town that is visited a lot by cruise ships so feels very different at night as opposed to midday when the cruise excursions are there. I find it very charming and enjoy overnights there as well as Ghent. I've spent time in Brussels as well but prefer the smaller more compact cities.

Posted by
671 posts

I have not been to Brussels, so I can't speak to that. But I would recommend at least one night in Bruges if not two. I loved walking around in the morning before the crowds arrived, and even before the shops opened. Also, there are some good restaurants around where you can enjoy a nice dinner.

Posted by
1036 posts

For me, Bruges had much more to offer than Brussels. I would break it up 2/3. And as said above, it is much better in the quiet hours.

Posted by
437 posts

We are spending 3 nights in Bruges and 2 nights in Ypres to visit the In Flanders Field museum and do a WW1 tour. I think as long as you have at least two nights in a place it gives you one full day without moving and won't be too rushed.