Please sign in to post.

itinerary help

Good day all.
Family of 4 (2 teenagers 18,16), seasoned travelers. Av. Paris, Depart Brussels
We have having difficulty with the Paris to Belgium part.

• Day 1 travel 2-5 Paris. Renting a Car for days 6-15

• Day 6 To Honfleur/Dunkirk ?? OR Ypres

• Day 6 To Ypres, Driving tour. To Bruges (late arrival)

• Day 7-9 Bruges (3days)
    2 days seeing stuff, 1 down day (laundry anyone?)

• Day 10 To Ghent (stop at St. Bavo) to Delft (tour) to Amsterdam (late arrival)

• Day 11-13 Amsterdam
    2 days in town, 1 day drive r/t to Arnhem

• Day 14-15 Brussels
    Day 16 Home

Posted by
32746 posts

What help do you need? It looks like you have made definite plans.

A couple of questions - do you have a place to park your car in Amsterdam?

If you are going to stop at St Bavo in Gent, do you not want some of the very best chocolate (our favourite in all of Europe) in Belgium, just across the street?

I see that you are committed to driving.

Are you aware of the drop charge you will have to pay for getting your car in France and dropping it in Belgium?

Are you aware that relatively inexpensive train links connect day 7 to the end and don't have any of the difficulties of car travel on those days?

Posted by
1974 posts

Why do you consider Dunkirk? And what are the things you expect to see in general? There are organized tours to Ypres from Bruges, have no idea from Ghent but is only a half hour by train from Bruges, so in this case consider it as a base. For cities the train is the most convenient and effective mode of transport as already noticed by Nigel. For things on the country-side a car is a better option. Can say more if I know more about the interests.

Posted by
1976 posts

Day 10 sounds very busy. I'd suggest taking one night from Bruges and staying in Ghent overnight. There's more to see than just St. Bavo's and it's a nice town to just walk through in general.