Please sign in to post.

Zeebrugge to Brugge

We have one day in Zeebrugge/Brugge on a cruise ship stop. What means of public transportation is available from the cruise ship terminal to Brugge? What is the duration of the travel from terminal to Brugge and how frequently do the (I assume trains) run?

Posted by
1966 posts

I think the best way to go to Brugge/Bruges is taking the tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge and from there the train to Brugge.

The “Zweedse Kaai” is where the cruiseships usually dock in Zeebrugge, at the sea-side close to the large sea-lock. From there you have to walk along the mainroad N34a about 1 km to tramstation “Zeebrugge Kerk” opposite the church. There is also a little ticketbooth, but is not always open, you can buy tickets for the tram also in the nearby little “Spar” supermarket. On the tram is possible, but more expensive. Be carefull with crossing the street as it is busy there, especially with the quick moving trams.

From there between 9AM and 8PM in the summer period you have every ten minutes a tram to Blankenberge. Trams go in both directions, but take the one with direction “De Panne” , clearly shown on the front of the tram and also with a blue sign underneath the station sign.
You need “2 zone” tickets and costs €1,20 pp per ride and is enough to get to Blankenberge.
On the way back you have to take the tram direction “Knokke”.

From the trainstation you have at least in the morning every hour a train to Brugge, later more, see (select English) www.belgianrail.be. The ride takes no more then 15 minutes, you have to get out at the main station in Brugge for walking to the centre. Think with a bit of planning between 1 hour to 1½ hour to get from the ship to the railwaystation of Brugge.

In Zeebrugge is also a trainstation, but the connection is not so frequent and the few locals I talked to prefer the route explained above. You have also to walk two km to get there. Nevertheless it’s possible that someone has a good experience with the train from Zeebrugge, but the route above ìs the one I can suggest.

Edited: Walking distance from ship to tramstation is about 1 km instead of 2 km.

Posted by
1005 posts

I just want to confirm what Wil said. Don't bother with the local trains to Zeebrugge Station. Take the tram to Blakenburg and then the train to Brugge. I've done this and it's fast and easy. Usually the cruise company will shuttle you to the port gates (more for security than for passenger comfort). so your walk to the tram stop might be shorter. Just head toward the church steeple. (And don't bother booking the expensive cruise excursion--this is easy to do on your own.)