Please sign in to post.

belgium

Have a few days to spend in either Bruges or Brussels.
Wondering if anyone has a preference

Posted by
12040 posts

I'd split the difference, stay in Gent, and visit the other two as daytrips. Brussels and Gent are more alive at night, Brugge is dead once the sun goes down. So, I guess it depends if you want the town to yourself after dark or you want to have a little fun. Brugge is definately the most immediately pretty of the three, however.

Posted by
2393 posts

What Tom said! We loved Gent - it was more of "working" city with a great vibe and not so touristy as Bruges.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the help with Bruges/Brussels
Sounds like you recommend skipping Brussels
Also, do you know if the trains from Ghent to Amsterdam?

Posted by
12040 posts

No, Brussels is still worth a visit. I would just rather lodge in Gent. All of these cities (plus Antwerp and Mechelen) are very close to each other, so you can base in one to visit the others

To reach Amsterdam from Gent, you would take a train either back to Brussels or to Antwerp, and ride Thalys from there.

Posted by
15576 posts

I loved Ghent, stayed there and day-tripped to Bruges. Another plus - hotels are cheaper in Ghent than either Bruges or Brussels.

Use the German website to look for trains - bahn.de . From Ghent, you would change trains in Antwerp to get to Amsterdam. That seems to be the fastest and simplest.

Posted by
11613 posts

I visited Brussels, Brugge and Gent last December, as Tom said, you can easily see all three as daytrips. I would try to see all of them.

Posted by
129 posts

Agree w Tom. Stay in Gent and hit Brussels and Bruges as day trips. Gent has enough good restaurants and nightlife to keep you satisfied, and definitely not as crowded.

Posted by
32700 posts

Having carefully assessed the choices available over many years in Brugge (Bruges) and Brussels; as well as Gent (Ghent), my wife and I are confident that the best fresh chocolate that we have ever had is at a shop in Gent. That's our tastes, YMMV.