Please sign in to post.

Zillertal?

Hi all:

We will be in Munich (we have been quite a few times) and want to take a day trip to mountains... someone on another thread suggested Zillertal.

I have been looking at it but it seems pretty confusing! :). My son really wants to paraglide - anyone have experience? Looks like one place is Mayrhofen... which may also be near the glacier/ice cave boat thing? The company I found so far is called Stocky Air.

Also interested in the Arena coaster... seems it is at a ski resort at Zell am Ziller. I am guessing there would be places to eat near these as well... ski resorts mostly I guess?

Any ideas or suggestions? We would probably take the train to Jenbach then use their train system... we could possibly rent a car if we really need to. Also hoping crossing the border won't be a covid issue... if so we could go to Garmisch (or we could if that is way better) - though we went there once in 2000, but just to ride to the top and see the cross, that was it.

Thanks for any guidance or ideas! :)
Kim

Posted by
1896 posts

Do you talk about a single day trip or several different day trips? Munich is too far away from the mountains, i.e. you will waste a lot of time just for traveling back and forth. Did you consider an accommodation in Zillertal?

Posted by
993 posts

Yes - it's kind of complicated since we are doing a home exchange and we prefer 4 different sleeping spaces (my family is difficult hahaha) so it's hard to do hotels - it says about 1:30 on the train from the house... we are willing to do it. It's possible we could overnight there but probably not. We won't be able to do all of it by any means, but just get a little taste for a day. :)

Posted by
32711 posts

Just the last jump from Jenbach to Meyrhofen by diesel train on the Zillertalbahn is just about an hour, 90 minutes on the steam train. Each way. I don't see how you can do that trip in 90 minutes from Munich.

The Zillertal website shows good locations for the paraglider, and you are right the end of the line is good. And you want a sommerrodelbahn too, on the same day, and then back to Munich.

not sure

Posted by
993 posts

Yeah... ok good to know about that last part being an hour, so then 2.5 from Munich. I still think we could be ok with this for just a day. I love train travel in Europe anyway. :)

Trying to find something like this paragliding for my 19yo since he wanted to go somewhere new and different and adventreous that we havent been (like Costa Rica) - but for various reasons I couldn't work that out. My husband and I would be fine to just sit in a bier garten and drink hahaah. So I was just trying to find something to do to fill this desire he has to do something adventurous! Kids!! hahahaha

Posted by
1288 posts

We have watched tandem paragliding from the Penkenberg above Mayrhofen after taking the lift up to the top. Take off was near the Penken Panorahmarestaurant (check opening time/days). After take off they circled around for pictures! You could sit at the Panorahmarestaurant and have a Bier and watch the flight, meeting again near Mayrhofen. My personal opinion is half a day in the Zillertal and Mayrhofen is not enough. The region is worth a vacation by itself. Weather could be the deciding factor too.

Posted by
993 posts

Maybe we should get a car for this day? How is driving there? Is that a better option than trying the train... oh it has a border crossing... is that a hassle?

Our other option that I think has paragliding is Garmisch... my husband and I went there once like 20 years ago, but just rode to the top and that was it... this may be easier... let me ask too on the Germany board. :)

Thanks!
Kim

Posted by
1896 posts

Driving won't solve wasting your time by traveling long distances.
To drive from Munich to Mayrhofen you'll need 2:15 hours under best circumstances. For gaining 15 minutes compared to the train it is not worth to rent a car.
Border crossing is no problem, but an Austrian toll sticker is required.

Posted by
993 posts

OK good to know... thank you. Looking at now maybe spending one night there at least. That may be a better plan. :)
I mean we need like a week there hahahah but we need that everywhere. I wish we had more time!

Posted by
32711 posts

I think you have knocked the nail on the head, Kim