Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Christmas 2015?

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I'm looking to visit Austria and Bavaria over the Christmas season from the 23rd- 1st of January. I'm thinking Austria would be the best place to be on Christmas eve and day, but having a hard time deciding the best place for me. First off, some info about me: I'll be traveling with my wife, we are both 30 years old, and enjoy hiking, adventure, outdoors, snowshoeing, history, sightseeing, and beer. Especially love mountains, but we don't ski. In previous trips, we've enjoyed staying in apartments or cottages rather than hotels. So where would be the best place for us? Here are some spots I had in mind:
-salzburg
-st. Wolfgang
-st. Gilgen
-innsbruck
-hallstat
-bad ischl

any and all advice welcomed! Thanks!

Posted by
5697 posts

Just so you know -- things close down mid-day on the 24th through the 26th in Austria so an apartment is a great option to avoid looking for an open restaurant (shop early! )

Posted by
527 posts

I'd go for Salzburg during Christmas..magical. Try the Punsch at the markets...of course the beer will be wunderbar. Definitely look into apartment and book EARLY!

Posted by
5362 posts

I would pick a larger town as the smaller ones will be completely shut down from Dec. 24 - 26. Between Salzburg and Innsbruck, I would definitely go for Salzburg. Keep in mind, though, that even these larger towns will have limited openings for dining and sites. You'll have to make reservations for meals well in advance and stock up at the grocery as soon as you arrive. You will also arrive on the last full day of the Christmas markets, so head straight for those as well.