Please sign in to post.

Where to eat in Salzburg?

Any recommendations for food in Salzburg? Cafés, delis, street food, budget restaurants. Rick Steves mentions looking for menus that are short, handwritten in German and seasonal, off the tourist path. Thanks!

Posted by
8162 posts

I never plan where I'm going to be eating as I've found such planning to be somewhat a waste of time. In a tourist city like Salzburg, you won't have any problem finding a great place to eat.

I can tell you where a great place to drink is, however. It'a at the Augustiner--where the beer's made by "The Brothers." They've also got a great beer garden outside for warm weather. It's right in the middle of town too. They also serve authentic German beer hall food.

Posted by
3047 posts

Yeah, the Augustiner beer hall was a great place to eat and drink. Filled with Germans, with Stammtischen galore.

We also walked up to the fortress, and stopped 1/2 up for lunch at a little restaurant. Good exercise, but the break was appreciated.

Lots of little bars and restaurants in town.

Posted by
531 posts

Prob not quite what you're looking for, but if you can, I recommend going to the Mozart Dinner. I went as part of the Germany Austria Switzerland tour back in Fall 2019 and really enjoyed it. Food was pretty good and the music was fantastic! Also a nice excuse to dress up a little bit. Purchase tickets in advance if you can.
https://www.mozart-dinner-concert-salzburg.com/

Posted by
1676 posts

Zum fidelen Affen is a great place. Nice outdoor seating and very good food.

Posted by
509 posts

Piling on with Augustiner: sitting outside (weather permitting), and enjoying the excellent beer, food and atmosphere is among our favorite memories of Salzburg.

Posted by
3860 posts

Afro Cafe

African-inspired food
Great coffee
Great tea
Relaxed atmosphere
Daily lunch specials
Best falafel I have ever eaten

I eat there every time I come to Salzburg.

Today a friend and I shared the starter with dall, white bean hummus, ostrich ham and bread. Delicious.

He had a salad with that wonderful falafel. I had a red curry with fish. Both were great.

Posted by
50 posts

DIE WEISSE has a much smaller beer garden, its own beer, but better known for its food. A lot of locals go there. I would go to Augustiner for lunch and DIE WEISSE for dinner especially for a more intimate setting than a beer hall. I don't know it it would be considered a budget restaurant.

One that is is the MY INDIGO. The big one is on Auerspergstrasse 10. It has a wide open setting, also balcony seating on the second floor. We paid 18 euro for a meal of two with beverages. The food is tasty and healthy. There is a second hole-in-the-wall location by the river on the west side of the river. Ate there too.

Posted by
19 posts

For a nice meal outside of the city, check out the Reiterhof Moos on the residential and atmospheric Moostrasse. It's easily accessible on bus 21, about 15 minutes south of downtown. Good food, especially the garlic soup, and a great ambience. They also make their own schnapps.

Posted by
464 posts

We enjoyed eating in the Linzer gasse area. We especially enjoyed the Gablerbrau. It had an Old World historic ambiance and the food was very good. We ate there twice during our time in Salzburg. We also like the food at the Timeless Restaurant near there and ate outside on a beautiful day.