Please sign in to post.

Where to catch Bus 840 from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden?

Hi all - Planning to take a day trip from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and read that Bus #840 is the easiest way to get there. My question is, where do I catch the bus? Some places say to catch it just across the street from the main train station, while some places say you have to catch it across the river at Rathaus? Does anyone know? I just do not want to show up at the wrong station 10 minutes before the bus is supposed to leave and miss it!

Posted by
5835 posts

Haven't done that route but here is the Postbus route planner site:
http://www.postbus.at/en/index.jsp
Enter start and finish addresses with date and time. It should return transit options and route directions including walking route to bus stops.

Posted by
19092 posts

The Watzman Express, RVO 840, is not a Post Bus, it's a special part of the German Regionalverkehr Oberbayern,RVO, a subsidiary of the Bahn. You can find specifics at www.rvo-bus.de.

The bus "starts" at the Salzburg Hbf. Actually, the stop is on Karl Wurmb Straße, the street that runs between the Forum buildings on the northeast side of Südtiroler Platz (in front of the Hbf). As I recall, the stops are about half a block from Südtiroler Platz, on either side of the street depending on which way the bus is going. Look at the schedule posted at the stop to see if it's the right stop for Berchtesgaden.

The Watzmann Express makes several stops in Salzburg after leaving the Hauptbahnhof including Mirabellplatz, Rathaus, Motzarsteg, and Justizgebäude.

Posted by
80 posts

Lee - So is Bus #840 part of the Watzman Express or is it PostBus? I found it by looking at the schedules on the PostBus website...

Posted by
672 posts

Lee is correct. We did this two years ago. Exit the Hauptbahnhof and stay to your right as you walk up the street (Sudtiroler Platz). A McDonald's will be on your right. After you pass the McDonald's, cross Karl-Wurmb-Strasse (see map) and then turn right. The Watzman Express 840 bus to Berchtesgaden should arrive around where the shop "Tally Weijl" is indicated on the map. At least that is how it worked two years ago.

Posted by
80 posts

Thank you Robert! I see that stop on Google Maps. Hopefully the schedule I found on PostBus is right - It says there's a train about every hour at 8:15, 9:15, 10:15, etc.

Posted by
19092 posts

"there's a train about every hour at 8:15, 9:15, 10:15, etc."

Don't you mean a bus?

BTW, there is another alternative. An RVO bus pass for RT on the Watzmann express between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden and any buses in Berchtesgaden is 9,80€/person. The last bus from Berchtesgaden back to Salzburg as around 6 PM. If you take the train to Freilassing and the train from there to Berchtesgaden, the last train back to Salzburg is around 11:00 PM. You can do that connection with a Bayern-Ticket, for 23€ for the first person, 5€ for each additional person up to five, total.

The Bayern-Ticket includes the same buses in Berchtesgaden.

Another option is the BGL-TagesTicket Bus & Bahn (in German). This ticket cost 12€ per person and includes the Watzmann Express from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden, trains from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf via Freilassing, and most of the buses in Berchtesgaden. So you can use the bus, which is faster, in the morning from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden, the buses in Berchtesgaden to the base of Kehlstein or to Königssee or to other places, and then take the train back to Salzburg after the buses have stopped running.

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks everyone! You were exactly right, the "platform" where it picks up was across the street by an H&M :)

Posted by
15582 posts

I just looked at the link to the BGL Tages ticket. It seems to say that the ticket is good on Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. the that night.

I still haven't found out where to buy the RVO bus pass.

Posted by
19092 posts

I bought an RVO Tagesticket from the bus driver. When I used the BGL Tagesticket Bus & Bahn, I bought it in Berchtesgaden, I believe from an automat (my first leg was by train) but I might have had to buy the ticket from the conductor on the train. But if you are going from Salzburg Hbf during the day, it's faster by the bus, so buy it from the bus driver.

Posted by
15582 posts

Thanks, Lee. I think you said that before and I missed it. I thought I'd have to take a bus to the train station to get the 840, but the Marienplatz is walking distance from my hotel, so I can get it there. I'll be able to walk over the day before to locate the stop. Just over 2 weeks until "lift-off."