Please sign in to post.

Wachau Valley

Has anyone recently rented bikes either in Melk or Krems? I see older posts (like 3-4 years ago) discussing options including Next bikes or finding a local shop. I’m looking to rent bikes in Krems and either boat or train to Melk and ride back to Krems or train to Melk and rent bikes to ride to Krems? Just want to hear from others. Thank you.

Posted by
1875 posts

With Nextbike you can rent a bike either in Krems or Melk and return it at any other Nexbike location.

I would recommend to ride from Melk to Krems because it is downstream. Note that the more scenic route is on the left (north) side of the Danube. As Melk is on the other side you must cross the river there.

https://www.nextbike.at/en/wachau/locations/

Posted by
7277 posts

Please forgive me for chiming in, as our last trip to Austria, which included touring on rented bikes from Vienna all the way to Ybbs, and it seems like it wasn’t that long ago, but was actually waaay more than 4 years ago, back in 1999. Don’t know about options these days, but back then we were able to rent perfectly fine bicycles from a train station, and turn them in at any other station down the line. Price and convenience couldn’t have been better. Is that service now part of a bygone era?

Posted by
1875 posts

Is that service now part of a bygone era?

OeBB (Austrian Railways) does not have an own bike renting service (anymore). At a lot of train stations OeBB cooperates with private enterprises, i.e. the rent is cheaper when providing an OeBB train ticket.

Not all such bike renting companies allow dropping off a bike at a different place than having it picked up. You need to check in advance.

Nextbike - as mentioned in a previous post - is a big international company, also operating in the Austrian states of Niederösterreich (Lower Austria) and Burgenland (Land of Castles). They definitely allow renting and returning bikes at different places. (This is important for exploring the Wachau Valley, which happens to be located in Niederösterreich.)