Please sign in to post.

Vienna Updates -Sept 29, 2022

Ringstrasse Tram is closed - not clear for how long. And the Austrian National library closed for renovations until December. Bummer as both were on my list.

On the positive side, the Klimt Immersive Experience is fabulous!

Posted by
1919 posts

The route of the RingTram for tourists can easily be followed using regular tram lines.
Clockwise around the Ring Boulevard: tram 1 from the Opera to Schwedenplatz, tram 2 from Schwedenplatz to the Opera.
Counterclockwise around the Ring Boulevard: tram 2 from the Opera to Schwedenplatz, tram 1 from Schwedenplatz to the Opera.

Posted by
4412 posts

Rick not only explains using the regular trams in some detail, he does a play by play for you as the tram passes tourist attractions

Posted by
61 posts

Trams 1 and 2 have been re-routed and are NOT following the ring- trust me, this was a source of great frustration, because I actually rode them. IVIE suggests you use the HOHO buses- not covered by transport pass.

Posted by
1919 posts

Trams 1 and 2 have been re-routed and are NOT following the ring- trust me, ...

Sorry, but I don't trust you. I know for sure that tram lines 1 and 2 follow the Ring Boulevard.
See the tram map of Vienna: https://www.urbanrail.net/eu/at/vienna/tram/wien-tram.htm

Trams 1 and 2, as well as all other trams following the Ring, are only re-routed when there is a sports event or a demonstration blocking the Ring, unfortunately rather often (e.g. Fridays for Future).

Posted by
88 posts

Regarding the Austrian National Library, you can visit the museums, but not the State Hall that is being renovated. I may try these if I have time.
Here is an excerpt from the library website:
The State Hall will be closed for restoration work from July 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022 . During this time, no visits or guided tours can take place in the State Hall. Thank you for your understanding. Alternatively, visit the museums of the Austrian National Library: the Literature Museum, the Papyrus Museum, the Globe Museum, the Esperanto Museum and the House of Austrian History look forward to your visit! With the universal weekly ticket for EUR 10,- in all five museums in seven days, valid until December 31, 2022 , tickets only available at the service desks.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Klimt Experience.

Posted by
515 posts

I was in Vienna at that time up until today, and I saw plenty of trams running the Ringstrasse. In fact, one of them was decorated with "US Austria friendship" stuff.

One tip I have learned. Going from the main HBF, to Karls Platz, once you get off the subway, you can walk through a huge long station which is actually several blocks underground and end up across the street from the Opera house, just behind a juice shop. So I started using that station even when not taking the U1 or U4 just get a few blocks with no rain and no traffic lights.