Please sign in to post.

Vienna Transit Pass question as it changes July 1, 2024

We will be in Vienna July 11-16.

I downloaded the Wein Mobile app and looked at buying transit passes through it, it will allow me to buy a 7 day Vienna pass for €17.10, picking my start date of July 11th. Is this using the new flexible 7-day pass that will be started July 1st? If I picked today's date of June 22nd it gave me the same pricing with the option to pick a start date, so didn't quite understand what is changing on July 1st.

Should I buy my 7-day pass now or should I wait after July 1st? From another post it sounds like the cost after July 1st is going up for the 7 day pass to €19.70, so I probably should buy it now, as long as it will work for July 11th-16th?

From a previous post:
The best option is to buy a transit pass for the week (€17.10). For going to the airport you just need an add-on ticket for €2.

Edit:
Effective July 1st, 2024 the calendar week transit pass will be replaced by two variants of the flexible 7-days pass (online or paper version).

Thanks!

Posted by
2032 posts

Just buy now the flexible 7-day pass, using your mobile phone, for €17.10 and make sure that the start date, i.e., July 11th, and your name are correct. This ticket is strictly personal; if you are checked by a conductor you may be asked for a photo ID matching the name on the ticket. Effective July 1st, the only change for this ticket, which was already introduced 2022, will be the higher price of €19.70 so it is better to buy it now for the still lower price.

New will be, starting July 1st, a paper variant of the flexible 7-day pass, having a price of €22.60 and which is transferable (not personal). This ticket will be available at ticket counters, ticket vending machines, tobacco shops.

The classic calendar week ticket will be abandoned.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you! I noticed on the WienMobil app that I can purchase all the 7 day vienna passes for our group on my phone, putting in the name of each additional person. If I do it that way, does that mean our group always needs to travel together because it's on my phone, or is there a way to transfer the pass to the phones of others in case we decide to split up?

Posted by
2032 posts

As far as I know - I never tried this - the WienMobil app maintains a list of your purchased tickets. Every ticket has a menu (3 dots) from which you can download the ticket as a pdf file. This file you can send to the mobile phone of somebody else (e.g. using WhatsApp). So everybody in your group will have their personal ticket, and only must be able to present it on the mobile phone's display. Hence you need not to stick together all the time.