Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Salzburg, car or train?

We will be in Vienna for four days before heading to Salzburg for four. Once in Salzburg we are planning to rent a car and explore the surrounding areas (lakes, etc). But I'm wondering, should we rent the car in Vienna and travel a different route than the train on our way to Salzburg? Are there any "must sees" that we should see elsewhere, and should we consider re-routing? We are considering a day trip to Melk from Vienna while staying there, so we wouldn't necessarily need to stop there on the way to Salzburg again. I do worry that we may be missing some major landmarks further south, so I'm wondering if we should try to re-route by car or train, or if that isn't worth the hassle. Thanks all!

Posted by
1580 posts

It's best you rent a car in Salzburg then tour the country side. However, there is a lovely town along the way toward Salzburg called Linz so if you do decide to rent a car from Vienna then you can make a stop in Linz. Other notable places along the way would be:

Kahlenberg

Burg Liechtenstein

Graz

Steyr

Posted by
32198 posts

Given the circumstances that you mentioned, I'd probably take the train to Salzburg and then rent a car there. From Salzburg you can tour the Salzkammergut lakes area or head to Berchtesgaden if you're interested in WW-II history. Note that parking in Salzburg can be pricey.

Posted by
5370 posts

So many better things to see from Salzburg vs. on the way to Salzburg. Plus, that stretch of highway is not fun to drive as it has lots of construction and traffic. Take the train and save your time for the good stuff.