Please sign in to post.

Vienna Spanish Riding School

I will be in Austria in September and am considering go to the Spanish Riding School to see their 70 minute show. Has anyone been to this show and if so where did they sit and did they like it? There are three types of tickets, over 100 Euro, 52 Euro ( with fees or taxes it comes to 64 Euro) and 28 Euro. I was considering the 52 Euro ticket. Can you still see with the 52 Euro ticket. Is it worth going. Do you know where the riding school show is located? Thank you for any help and advice.

Posted by
5382 posts

Do you really like horses and dressage? Ask yourself this question before spending a huge amount of money on something that might not really be worth it to you. If you fall somewhere in the middle, maybe consider the morning exercises. All activity happens in the Hofburg.

Posted by
1203 posts

Emily, have you been to the Horse Show? You did not answer any of my questions, please let me know where the horse show is located, if you have gone and where did you sit. I think that it would be very nice to see the horse show, but was curious if anyone has actually seen it and can tell me about it before I actually buy a ticket. Thank you.

Posted by
5382 posts

I did mention above that the show is in the Hofburg. I have been once and honestly it just isn't my thing, but maybe it is yours.

Posted by
1203 posts

Thank you Emily, now I understand, the show is at the Hofburg Palace. I have never been to Vienna and am researching the things to do for four days in Vienna.

Posted by
5382 posts

When will you be in Vienna? I'm happy to help suggest some ideas for your 4 days, if you like and if you can tell me what your interests are.

Posted by
4140 posts

Ann , watch this short video of the horses , it will give you an idea of what you would see https://youtu.be/Pn6Jmqs9IHQ . Frankly , this is not my taste , but it is a personal choice . I don't recall if I mentioned this when we met earlier this month , but this documentary will give you a good overview of Vienna and its background https://youtu.be/AFZBOTgL_Hk

Posted by
183 posts

Hi Ann,

The value of the various tickets and experiences really does depend on what you are looking for. If you want to see the inside of the School and watch a bit of riding, the morning work is going to be a good bet. If you are a hardcore dressage fan or are really excited about seeing the full "pageant" of the school, the Performance is fantastic. But the performance, and especially the Quadrille, are all choreographed towards the short end of the school. I would recommend anyone who goes to go ahead and spring for the best seats. You will not be able to properly see from the long sides.

The morning work is much less formal, less structured, and sitting on the long side there is fine. You will see the horses in training and more of some of the younger greener horses. You may also see riders being instructed on their position or conferring at the sidelines with the head trainer.
I have not been on the tours, but they might be a nice thing to do to see some of the backstage operations. Whatever you decide to do, please please be respectful of the rules on photography and video.
Also, the SRS has a lovely gift shop, so be sure to pop in there for souvenirs.
Enjoy!

Posted by
191 posts

I took my mom last year for the performance and it was great!. We on the ground/arena level in the front row. I would highly recommend sitting at the end of the arena since you have a perfect view of all the maneuvers. There seems to be a ground level and 2nd level at the end. Also, you can book your tickets online and see the seat chart (site is a little hard to use I found).

I would also recommend a tour of the stables, great intro to the horses and up close look at what they do.

Posted by
1203 posts

Thank you Stephanie, you have been a big help. I did go on the sight but I find it difficult to determine where I would sit if I do go for the best tickets. I agree I think it will be a wonderful experience to see it. I just need to book my ticket. Thank you for pointing out where to sit.

Posted by
672 posts

If you have the time, I recommend taking the tour of the SRS. You will get to see a lot of the stallions close up. And if you ever make it to Styria, a visit to the Piber Stud Farm is well worth it.