Please sign in to post.

Vienna & Prague September-October?

We're thinking of visiting Vienna and Prague from the end of September to the first week in October.

Would this be a good time to go if we prefer minimum crowds? Anything unusual going on during this time period?

Posted by
4137 posts

A nice time of the year for travel , weather is good and somewhat less crowded , My wife and I always go at that time . Remember , that as you are drawn to visit these places , others are as well . Frankly , I am never concerned about the presence of other visitors .The demographic of travel is also changing , with more " boomers " at the age when it's now or never . Do your homework before you go , the better acquainted you are with the great cultural and historic sites , the more you will get from your visit ( which should be as protracted as possible ) .

Posted by
2081 posts

Richard,

Just a comment. I only went in mid Sept of last year. I found the crowds to be acceptable to me and i dont like crowds.

happy trails.

Posted by
16893 posts

Popular tourist sites, like Prague's old town square, Charles Bridge, and Castle, are likely to have crowds, but walking a block or two away from those is an easy way to escape the crowds. Visiting the Castle either early (promptly when it opens at 9 a.m.) or in late afternoon will still be useful strategies. FYI, September is our busiest month for guided tour departures in general and that "rule" holds true for every tour itinerary running in this region.

Posted by
5362 posts

This is a lovely time to visit Vienna as it is time for the wine harvest, many festivals are happening, weather in nice and people are drinking sturm (young wine). If you really want minimum crowds, you should come in February.

Posted by
1 posts

Wife and I are planning two weeks for travel with a home base of Salzburg. Renting a car and plan on driving to Vienna, Prague , and Berlin. However uncertain of of how to make reservations and where for one to two day visits. We love to walk and look forward to walking these cities as much as possible.
Rob

Posted by
5362 posts

Maybe I am mis-reading your post, Rob, but traveling from Salzburg to any of the cities you name as 1-2 days trips is really not realistic. You need to stay closer to Salzburg or relocate yourself for a much longer timeframe to enjoy your trip. Berlin is a 7 hour drive each way; Prague is nearly 5 hours. There is plenty to see within 1-2 hours drive of Salzburg.