Please sign in to post.

Vienna plus Salzburg or Slovenia?

We will be traveling to Austria for two weeks in late September. Our main interest is in seeing architecture and going on day hikes. After arriving in Vienna and spending 3 days, we have 10 days left to plan and want to limit it to one home base if possible. We are trying to decide between the Salzburg region or head south from Vienna through Graz to the Julian Alps of Slovenia. What would be best for day hikes and scenery in your opinion?

We have previously traveled to the Italian Dolomites and Innsbruck area as well as throughout Croatia. Thank you for your opinions!

Posted by
5450 posts

These are very different areas, although both in the mountains. I've been to both numerous times. Both areas are nice, but I would point out that the alps in Slovenia are different on the western and eastern sides of the high point of the Julian Alps. The Salzburg area features lakes and charming villages, like Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang. It is tamer. The eastern part of the Julian Alps also features lakes (Bohinj is my favorite) like Bled with a castle. The Vintgar Gorge is also very beautiful. The western side is more for outdoor spots, we like to stay in Kobarid, which also has interesting history. If I had to go to one again, right now, I would go to the Bohinj area where we did one of our favorite hikes ever to Slap Mostnice.