Please sign in to post.

Vienna Opera House Tour

We are planning our June 2024 trip to Vienna and will want a tour of the Opera House for a party of 6. Is this a hard ticket to get online? I went to the website and it looks like they only have tickets available two months out (ie now they have December and January tix available). However, I only see maybe 6 days available in December and (most concerning) only 1 day available in January (why would this be?). Any hints on how to get advanced tickets would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3844 posts

When we were in Vienna there were no tours on the days they had performances.

Posted by
4000 posts

One of the best experiences I have had traveling was buying myself a ticket to the Vienna Opera (from the opera’s website & not a 3rd party). It was a splurge that still means the world to me. I saw Le Nozze di Figaro. It is one of my most cherished memories! I don’t know if their season extends into June though. I went in October a few years ago.

Posted by
233 posts

I bought tour tickets a couple of days before online. I also think they don’t have tours on days they have performances. I also bought standing room tickets for an opera, they put them on sale two hours before the show., and I would recommend it. I think the standing room tickets were $15 euros.

Posted by
4704 posts

Regarding the standing room Opera tickets, there was quite a line starting about an hour before the tickets went on sale, ( our experience was pre- COVID.) There was a limited amount of tickets. And, one has a very obstructed view, as the standing area then was in a boxed- in group area; folks are not standing behind seated patrons. Still, my daughter enjoyed the experience, but did not stay for the whole performance.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
14507 posts

Re: a tour ticket.

I've taken the Opera House tour twice, 2 different trips, (pre-pandemic) , two different guides but both times were in the summer (May and June) , and both times I was able to get a ticket right then and there for the next tour as indicated on the announcement schedule at the ticket counter, ie, last minute.

Posted by
3847 posts

A friend and I traveled to Vienna in late May 2022. There were tours available nearly every weekday -- usually multiple tours. I don't think you will have much trouble getting a tour.

Posted by
3847 posts

...and I will second Continental's statement that purchasing a regular ticket for an opera is a worthwhile splurge. Get a good seat. I did it in 2015, and I did it again last week. A great experience.

Posted by
5384 posts

You can walk up and buy a ticket. It isn't my favorite tour.