Please sign in to post.

Vienna New Year's concert 2021

I was surprised to hear today that the concert will go on. I assumed it would not, as so many other things have been cancelled. No audience, of course.

If in the US, and interested, check your local PBS station.

Posted by
7360 posts

That’s great to hear . . . although watching on TV, with or without a live audience present, the experience at home will be pretty much like what it’s been in the past. We’ll definitely tune in onnPBS - thanks, and Happy New Year, in advance!

Posted by
1906 posts

The "Musikverein" concert venue, home of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, offers every Saturday/Sunday a concert via streaming, for free for the time being during the lockdown. You can choose yourself the time to watch and listen.
https://www.musikverein.at/en
On the homepage scroll down to "Musikvereinskonzerte digital". There should be a window to click on for starting the performance.

Posted by
32752 posts

wmt1, thanks for the post.

Today's Brahms number 2 was a joy.

Readers may not understand that this series is of historic concerts because live ones are not permitted.

Fidelio does a really good job with the broadcasts.

Posted by
7360 posts

Concert, recorded recently or some time ago, is welcome.

A Post above, apparently Spam, has been reported, and is less welcome.

Posted by
3961 posts

Thank you LIZinPA for the kind reminder. Thanks to WMt1 for the concert venue. I enjoyed the Brahms #2 today. It was lovely.

Posted by
3961 posts

Thanks Michael for posting the New Years concert. It was wonderful.

Posted by
5697 posts

Watched the concert on New Year's Day -- full unmasked orchestra but no audience -- beautiful scenes of Vienna. Hoping for next year in person (ok, by Jumbotron outside the Rathaus.)