Please sign in to post.

Vienna Concerts Oct 8 - 11 2023

Hey Vienna music experts! Seems to be a few of you here on the boards.

My family (three generations from tween to 80s) will be in Vienna Oct 8-11. Most of us play instruments and have opinions, but there are just too many options and we've never been to any of the venues or heard any of the performers. I'm leaning a bit towards trying to get tickets to the Wiener Jeunesse Orchester in the Grosser Saal of Musikverein because Beethoven's 7th is on the program and it's Grosser Saal. That it's a youth orchestra gave me pause. As of right now, the only thing we have tickets to is Fledermaus at the Volksoper.

Suggestions and opinions very much welcome.

Posted by
20099 posts

I'd go for La Traviata at the Staatsoper. Juan Diego Florez is singing. Oct 10.

Posted by
4140 posts

I wouldn't be put off by a youth symphony . Young musicians are frequently top notch and play with great proficiency . ( listen to some of the American conservatory orchestras ( Tanglewood Festival , Juilliard, Curtis , orchestras are good examples . ) An example here should allay your reservations - https://youtu.be/BLtBdOKQBY8 Also , enjoy " Fledermaus " at The Volksoper . Its a favorite for me on my frequent visits to Vienna . You'll experience New Years Eve there , albeit a bit early , in October

Posted by
29 posts

I am a classical musician and it is my opinion that the Vienna Philharmonic is the best symphony orchestra in the world. The youth orchestra is the training orchestra for many future members of the VP. You will be amazed at the quality of that orchestra and Beethoven's 7th is my favorite symphony. Wish I was joining you there. You will be very happy you attended.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks! I bought tickets for that a few days ago when they opened to the public. Also Rebecca. In addition to an SRS performance and Der Fledermaus. Unfortunately, we couldn’t make La Traviata work.

Posted by
4140 posts

Sorry to be pedantic , but it's " Die Fledermaus "

Posted by
44 posts

The Wiener Jeunesse Orchester: let's just say they're not like most "youth orchestras" in the US.
These are musicians who are out of high school (18 and up) and they don't take just anybody to join.
Unless you are a professional classical musician yourself, I don't think you will see any shortfall in performance, compared to a real professional orchestra.

(I'm not qualified to speak as a local, but I speak as someone who used to be in a Youth Symphony. I would be happy to see the WJO but my criteria is usually around what is on the program.)

Posted by
4 posts

Ein Fehler. Ich weiß, dass "Maus" feminin ist. (Facepalm)

Yeah, I’m excited for the Jeunesse. The second movement of the Beethoven is one of my favorites, and I don’t think I’ve heard it in person. It’s also one of the kid’s favorites, which is fantastic.