Please sign in to post.

Vienna airport

I have only an hour and 20 minutes to connect to my flight to Sophia from the US. Do you think I can make it ?
Do I have to collect my checked bag,go through immigration, and security ?
Is it a big airport? I’m using Lufthansa. Not my favorite airline.

Posted by
4823 posts

If you are booked through on a single ticket ( from home to Sophia), your luggage will be transferred for you. You only have to clear Passport Control. Customs will be in Sophia (usually a non event for tourists).
It's not a huge airport. According to the airport website, you should have plenty of time. IIRC, Lufthansa is part of Star Alliance. You might want to explore the website and check out the map. https://www.viennaairport.com/en/passengers/arrival__departure/transfer

Posted by
5370 posts

I am certain that you will be flying on Austrian from Vienna to Sophia, not Lufthansa, as the only direct flights from Vienna to Sophia are on Austrian.

Where does your flight to Vienna originate? There are no direct flights from Orlando to Vienna so you must be transiting somewhere. This is important information as it will determine whether or not you’ll need to go through immigration in Vienna.

In Europe you never have to collect your bags for customs until you reach your final destination.

Posted by
95 posts

I’m flying from JFK. My ticket was bought through United but most of the flights are Lufthansa/Austrian.

Posted by
5370 posts

You will be on an Austrian plane from JFK to Vienna. It is a United and Lufthansa codeshare.

As a result you will not go through immigration in Vienna. Customs and bag collection is always at your final destination in Europe.