Please sign in to post.

Vienna

2-3 days in Vienna-what are top things to do, see, and where to eat!

Posted by
3989 posts

Look at the top of this page and you will see a HUGE search field. Use it; your topic is very open-ended and could be answered easily for you using the search function or any travel guide book especially as no one here has any idea what interests you.

Posted by
53 posts

That's the problem...the field is huge. I wasn't asking anyone to know my likes or dislikes, just share their favorite places.

Posted by
4140 posts

Well , for anyone here to know where to start , we need to have a rough indication of where your interests lie . For instance , I have a background in classical music , but if that would have you snoring in The Musikverein during a concert , it would be useless to you for me to make suggestions in that direction . Fine Art would be another example . My wife and I are art lovers , no point in going there if its not of interest to you . You might find this a good place to start - https://www.wien.info/en

Posted by
16893 posts

The list here for Vienna At a Glance is more than enough indoor, prioritized sightseeing to keep you busy. Just walking around is also a key part of the experience.

Posted by
3234 posts

My favorite things in Vienna were the Opera, the Klimt masterpieces at the Belvedere and the Treasury Museum at the Hofburg - and the food!

Posted by
3989 posts

That's the problem...the field is huge. I wasn't asking anyone to know
my likes or dislikes, just share their favorite places.

Problem?? Try OPPORTUNITY. Many HAVE shared their likes and dislikes hence the search field's benefit....LOL

Posted by
3830 posts

wmt1... that is quite the 3-day schedule!

OP... My favorite activity in Vienna is to catch a classical concert at the Musikverein. My favorite off-the-beaten-tourist-path place is the Augarten, an enormous park with flowers, gardens, walking paths, people at play, and 2 very large concrete anti-aircraft towers that were too enormous to be blown up by the Allies at the end of WWII. I think it's a wonderful place to go late afternoon/early evening to soak up the relaxed vibe. Most others will say your time is too short for it.

Posted by
1890 posts

@Dave

There is so much off-the-beaten-tourist-track to explore and to see in Vienna, but that's for the third or fourth visit after having dealt with the standard sights, not for a short-time visit with a very constrained time budget.

In Vienna all is somewhat slower, not so hectic. Some visitors, e.g. from Germany or the US, are irritated about this, like not getting the bill in the restaurant right away when you chew the last bite.

There is some truth in this old joke: If you are afraid of Armageddon coming settle in Vienna, because everything happens here ten years later.

Posted by
3830 posts

wmt1... I love the relaxed pace of Austria, which is probably why I like the Augarten so much. It's nice to see the Viennese being Viennese. I will readily admit, though, that I'm particularly fond of incorporating parks into trips, even time-constrained ones. It's one of my travel quirks (along with going to libraries). I tried to give adequate heads up with the "most others..." statement. Next time, I'll precede it with something like, "I have a park fetish." Well... maybe not that... :)

Posted by
308 posts

My favorite activity in Vienna is wandering around the Central Cemetery.

Posted by
5365 posts

Wmt1 - Life in Vienna is somewhat slower until you’re at the register at Billa or sitting on the bus with an old lady to your left ready to jump over you as her stop approaches.

Posted by
4140 posts

Dave , Augarten is a favorite for us as well . One of the highlights is the porcelain manufactory , the second oldest in Europe after Meissen , in Dresden . . There are guided tours that will take you through showing the various stages of producing fine porcelain . Most interesting was the room where highly skilled artists paint the various objects , prior to the secondary and tertiary firings . Beautiful creations made there - https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/from-a-to-f/augarten-porcelain

Posted by
14497 posts

Those AA towers are located in Esterhazy Park, still have not been there. True, the tempo is Vienna is slower.

Get out to the districts not connected with tourism. It is city where you can do a ton of walking along with using the combination of the tram and U-Bahn.

Posted by
1890 posts

Those AA towers are located in Esterhazy Park

There are 6 towers/bunkers in Vienna in total. Two in Augarten (2nd borough), two in Arenbergpark (3rd borough), one in Esterházypark (6th borough), and one in the middle of an army site (7th borough).

The last one is not easily visible because it is completely surrounded by other buildings. If you are near Maria Theresia's monument and look to the west you can see the top of the bunker looming over the MQ (Museumsquartier).

Only the one in Esterházypark is open to the public. It contains the "House of the Sea", an impressing number of aquariums and terrariums. The cafeteria on the roof provides a wonderful view of the city. Near the basement there is the "Museum of Torture", a display of historic ingenuity how to tantalize people.