Please sign in to post.

Vienna

My husband and I are visiting Vienna from December 21st to the 26th.
Would love some advice what to do and which Crhistmas markets to see.
Is the standing room only Opera, worth trying?

Thanks,
Patti

Posted by
102 posts

Loving Vienna in December is easy and hard. Hard because you've 20 plus Christmas markets to visit, all the holiday decoration to see, music every night multiplied by dozens of sites...well hard to do it all but easy loving every minute. Standing room in Opera? Maybe. Take the daily Opera tour in the afternoon to get the history and feeling for this magnificent building. My favorite market is the Rathausplatz with easy warm food and drink, the benches on the city hall porch to take a break on, the night lighting and if blessed, snow falling! All the museums are open, or not depending on the day and time. Check ahead like a good traveler. Shopping on Karntner Str, Graben, Kohlmarkt all a wonder of shops to spend those euros in. Places also not to miss of course are St Stephen's Cathedral, Schonbrunn Palace blindingly decorated, Belvedere Palace also, Spanish Riding School (again check days/hours), The Secession for marvelous Art Nouveau/Jugendstall, and if you still have a little time...Yes there's plenty. And don't forget the food, like the open air Naschmarkt or the coffee cafes like, just off Graben, the famous and favorite Hawelka. Get a guidebook and take advance notes on what and how to get where you want most, cut that list in half and...You'll love it.

Posted by
527 posts

It is wonderful in Vienna during this time. I have to disagree about the Rathaus Christkindlmarkt...too crowded with tourists. The better ones are at Maria-Theresien-Platz, Christmas Market on Karlsplatz, Christmas Market on Spittelberg, and there is one out at Schoenbrun Palace as well. The Rathaus is the biggest, but most locals avoid it theses days.

Posted by
5362 posts

Local here with some thoughts on markets, etc.

Christmas Markets to see:

Spittelberg (this is the most charming one by far)
Karlsplatz (best crafts and beautiful setting; best also for kids)
Altes AKH (village like atmosphere with some of the best food; two breweries in the same complex for ducking into when you get too cold)
Schonbrunn (my overall favorite)

I totally agree with Alex that the Rathaus Market is not a favorite locally. It is best seen from a distance as the stalls are selling cheap products from China. Take a few pictures and move on.

You should note that the markets will be winding down on Dec. 24. Also note that Austrians celebrate Christmas on Dec. 24th, so be sure to make a dinner reservation that night (and probably also the 25th). Shops will be closing around noon on the 24th and will remain closed on the 25th and 26th. This time will be very quiet. Sights will be open, however, and the Markets at the Rathaus and Schonbrunn will remain open.

I would also dedicate an evening to stroll around the first district to look at the lights - particularly on the Graben and Kaerntnerstrasse.

Posted by
102 posts

Excellent posts on Vienna. My first trip to this wonderful place included the Rathaus Market with all the lights and snow. I was amazed but never more then glanced at the wares or if the people were local or not, was just thrilled with the whole experience. Next time went to smaller markets with interesting local goods and more friendly local folks, but still remember Rathaus with wonder. Time to return!

Posted by
16893 posts

I would go for the cheapest tickets, such as standing room, for performances at the State Opera. It's an iconic experience, and if you don't know that you like opera, you only make a small investment. Standing-room ticket holders now need to attend from the start of the performance; see http://www.ricksteves.com/europe/austria/guidebook-updates. Frankly, I tried viewing some of the free, live outdoor projections that the Opera has in September, but couldn't last long (those particular shows were a lot of "talk" and not much action).

Posted by
252 posts

When I lived in Vienna in 1983-84, the Rathaus Christmas Market was amazing. I bought so many lovely handcrafted ornaments that I still have to this day. Every year when trimming my tree, I think about the amazing time I had in Vienna.