Please sign in to post.

Trip ideas

Headed to Vienna in May 2020 for a week. Suggestions on tours and tour companies for day trips. Also, favorite things about Vienna? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
2948 posts

Purchase RSE Vienna guide book and follow his self-guided walking tours. You can download an electronic version from his app.
You want to visit the Hofburg Imperial Apartments and treasury, Vienna State Opera, St. Stephen's Cathedral, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Schönbrunn Palace and a day trip to Bratislava.

Posted by
132 posts

I do have the guidebook but always like to hear others ideas as well. Thanks.

Posted by
464 posts

Ahhh, Vienna! It was so much more than we expected - beautiful architecture, wonderful food, and very walkable. Our favorite memories are having dessert at the Palmenhaus terrace overlooking Burggarten, walking on pedestrian streets Kartnerstrasse, Graben St., and Kohlmarkt, as well as the charming Spittelberg area of pedestrian streets and restaurants on Gutenberg and Spittelberg. Chocolate mousse at the Boheme restaurant, relaxing in the Volksgarten rose garden , and seeing the exterior of the Belvedere Palace and walking the grounds there was also great. A highlight was the Grand Tour of Schonbrunn Palace and the gorgeous gardens and stopping for "pancake" ice cream on the walk up to the Gloriette. Be sure to get tickets for a Mozart Strauss concert while you are in Vienna also.

Posted by
3961 posts

Marie, we recently spent 5 nights in lovely Vienna. Our favorite things: Grand Tour at Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna Riding School, Vienna State Opera Tour, Belevedere Palace, Albertina and Kunsthistorisches museums, St. Stephens Cathedral, Jewish Museum & Judenplatz Holocaust Memorial, Naschmarkt, free Sunday concert at Augustinian Church. Favorite restaurants were Lugeck and De Capo. We stayed at the Hotel Austria. It was well appointed and walking distance to many sights and restaurants. We would gladly recommend this hotel.

Posted by
3245 posts

If you love art, and wish that Paris had about a million fewer tourists, you will love Vienna!

When we were there in 2015, we bought the Vienna Pass, and thought it was a great deal - one time admission to virtually all of the sites you want to see, including the "morning exercises" for the Spanish Riding School.

https://www.viennapass.com/

Our only tour was a day trip to the Wachau Valley with Vienna Explorer, which we highly recommend.

https://www.viennaexplorer.com/

Also, I don't know if the Opera season lasts through May - but if it does - buy the best seats you can afford. I regret that moment of frugality!

Posted by
856 posts

The Hofburg Palace is a must, as is the Imperial Treasury. The Opera tour is nice, along with Schloss Belvedere. The trolley around the Ring is not that great. Spanish Riding School is also a neat visit.

Have a great time - we are going back in May.

Posted by
6 posts

My wife and I were able to visit the Grinzing region on the edge of Vienna and it was a treat. There are local restaurants called Heurigers that sell local wine and traditional Austrian cuisine. We also loved the cafe culture of Vienna!