Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Vienna to Trier

Hello,

We are flying in to Vienna and meeting our RS Tour Group in Trier. We get into Vienna after the overnight flight from the states in the early morning. Our tour begins in Trier at 4 p.m. the next day.

We would like to do the train and possibly an overnight train from Vienna to Trier. Are there sleeper cabins on the trains?

Any suggestions are appreciated on the best travel mode from Vienna to Trier.

Beth

Posted by
5381 posts

Do you realize that Trier is halfway across Europe from Vienna? It is a 12-14 hour train journey! I think that getting off an overnight flight with the idea of then getting on an overnight train is just masochistic.

I would go ahead and buy a plane ticket from Vienna to Frankfurt (or change your international ticketing entirely) and then take the train from Frankfurt to Trier.

Posted by
11613 posts

Check bahn.de for info. Rome2rio.com gives 10+ hours on a day train, 12+ on the night train.

Posted by
2332 posts

There is an overight train from Vienna (dep. 20:39) to Koblenz (arr. 7:05). From K. you can take any regional train to Trier. The saver fare (booking right now!) for two is €228 for a standard double cabin. Book online at www.oebb.at or www.bahn.com using the print home option.

Or, if still possible, rebook your flights to Frankfurt. If that's impossible you might want to check direct flights from Vienna to Frankfurt. Skyscanner shows prices starting from €126.

Posted by
1203 posts

I took the GAS tour last year and flew into Frankfurt and took the two trains ( about 3 Hours) to Trier. Rick Steves will give you details on how to get to Trier from the Frankfurt airport. The train station is in the Frankfurt airport. Then fly home from Vienna. It is called and open jaw ticket and easy to purchase. I would suggest you change your ticket, but in doing so there will be a fee and it can be up to $300.00 depending on the airline. It may be less like $100 or $150.00, just call and find out. You may also fly on two different airlines, no big deal but depending on the one airline they set the price of the exchange fee. I still would fly into Trier at least one day in advance if not more if you have the time. Trier is a lovely city and worth seeing before the tour.

The tour is excellent and you will have a wonderful time.

Posted by
4684 posts

Or you can fly Luxair to Luxembourg, bus or taxi to Luxembourg railway station, and train to Trier. Luxembourg is probably the closest international airport (apart from Frankfurt-Hahn, but I don't think that has any flights from Vienna).

Posted by
1549 posts

Beth, this is an odd way to travel. Did you obtain incredibly cheap flights to Vienna?

Posted by
15 posts

These were frequent flier tickets and not as many choices.......so yes they were cheap - ultra cheap!

Posted by
5381 posts

Then you have money to spend on a flight to Frankfurt!

Posted by
15 posts

Flying is definitely the best way to get there. Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

Beth