Please sign in to post.

Travel HEALTH Insurance

Hi. Will be spending quite a bit of time in Austria and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good health insurance.

and /or Is it possible to buy some Austrian health insurance if you have an EU passport?

Thanks.

Posted by
32200 posts

A bit more information would be helpful, such as which country you're travelling from as your health insurance options will vary. Do you have an EU Passport?

Posted by
175 posts

I have a US and EU passport. Thanks.
I will have a Medicare supplemental plan, Plan G, but that only covers emergency room items as I understand it.

Posted by
6345 posts

Is it possible to buy some Austrian health insurance if you have an EU
passport?

If you are an EU resident, just get an EHIC. If not, no.

Posted by
11136 posts

Medicare won’t give you coverage. We have had several medical claims from foreign countries and our US based travel insurance reimbursed us 100%. We always book the plan that will fly us home in a medical emergency if necessary although we haven’t needed that option yet.

Posted by
2701 posts

Take a look at https://www.insuremytrip.com/. You can purchase stand alone medical insurance or purchase it as part of a comprehensive travel policy. I do the later to cover medical evacuation, rare but expensive. Your term, ‘quite a bit of time” is non-specific and there may be other options for longer stays. And all travel medical insurance coverage is for emergent or urgent care. You will likely not find coverage for routine health care on InsureMyTrip.com.

Posted by
11136 posts

Alan is correct about emergencies. I had detailed receipts for my emergency medical care abroad and the reason I sought care. From our last trip I filed a claim for about $3000. Due to an accident , immediate care and excellent follow up care due to improper care by MD#1! . When I returned home to the US subsequent care was covered by Medicare.

Posted by
2701 posts

This from the Medicare website:
If you have Medigap Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N, your plan:

Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

If you think that is adequate then OK, go for it. For minor emergencies it’s probably fine. Big time illness? $50K can be consumed in a heartbeat.

Posted by
175 posts

Thanks everyone. I have Plan G and it covers ER care for the first 60 days. I will be staying over for 10 weeks and that could be extended.

Posted by
3207 posts

While my supplemental to Medicare will reimburse me for foreign medical expenses, I've moved on to GeoBlue as they will pay the medical facility directly. They also have evacuation, although I have another plan for that. However, travel medical insurance does depend on how long you plan on staying. It's really for shorter term adventures, generally. Maybe your EU PP will open up better opportunities.

Posted by
175 posts

Another thought. My Medicare plan covers the first 60 days of a trip, to some degree. It would be nice if you just had to buy travel insurance for the rest of the trip. But I assume the travel insurance company would want their coverage to be from the flight onwards.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.