Please sign in to post.

Train passes

I land in Munich on 23rd September early morning with my wife and 8yr old. I will travel and stay at Zelle am see. With Zelle as a base we will travel to nearby areas by train.

Is it worthwhile to buy a Eurail pass of two countries.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Posted by
23267 posts

With the additional fees often required and discounts for advance purchase, the rail pass is losing its economic advantage. About the only way to know is to price out the individual tickets compared to the pass. Then you will know. However, some now argue that you are paying a premium for the convenience of a rail pass and that trumps the potential savings if any.

Posted by
1902 posts

The Eurail passes are a rip-off. The only upside is the fact that you have not to care about buying individual tickets for your trips. If you think that avoiding some hassles getting the right tickets at the right time is worth the premium price, then it should be OK for you.

How long do you stay in Zell am See, i.e. how many train rides do you assume you will doing from there?

If you stick with regional trains then a Einfach-Raus-Ticket may be a good choice. It is for both adults together, you kid goes for free, and it is valid for one day unlimited rides (both distance and number), as long as you use S-, R- or REX-trains. Express trains like RJ or IC are excluded, as well as crossing the border to Germany.

Posted by
2393 posts

The ONLY way to tell for sure is to price out point to point tickets and compare with pass price.

Posted by
16893 posts

The pass is not necessarily a rip-off, but the value you get from it depends on how far you travel. In this case, it sounds like you're not traveling long distances. There are no extra fees required in either country.

Posted by
1902 posts

The pass is not necessarily a rip-off, but the value you get from it depends on how far you travel.

I have never seen a calculation where an Eurail pass is cheaper than individual tickets nowadays. Due to the fierce competition between railway and bus companies there are so many cheap offers for even longer distances.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

How long is your trip? Which other places are going you besides Zell am See? If you are focused on one region, then I would NOT suggest the Pass and if your trip is of short duration. If your trip is 2-3 weeks, then I would not recommend the Pass, unless savings is of a much lesser concern than flexibility. I use a rail pass, a "Regional Pass" but one with the max number of days, ie 10 days in 2 months, (even better when the extra promo travel day is offered, making 11 days for the price of ten) the price is given in Euro and $...very convenient in determining if it worth it or not due to the way I travel using night trains, zig zag traveling, duration of the trip, and so.

Posted by
5382 posts

Please make sure to do the math correctly, using the proper info resources.

First, do not use this site or their outdated cost map to calculate train fares. Next, do not use RailEurope or any other ticket re-seller to calculate travel costs. The RAilEurope info is nearly always incorrect or inflated.

What you should do it use the correct website for comparison shopping - www.oebb.at. This is the website of the Austrian National Rail Service. In addition, you should consider the cost of the Einfach Raus ticket, which is a ticket for all day regional travel. The cost of this ticket is 33 Euro for your whole family each day, so 11 Euro per person. How can a Eurail pass compete with that?

Bottom line is that this website, geared towards novice and/or budget-minded travelers, should better inform themselves about other economical ways of traveling outside of the railpass. This website should also stop selling railpasses as it is a conflict of interest, in my opinion.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. I will visit the national railway sites of Austria and Germany to compare and buy. Thanks once more. Regards.