Please sign in to post.

Staying in Vienna

Hi, I am spending three days in Vienna and coming from Budapest by train. Can anyone comment on either of the following places to stay? Looking to stay in the town center, preferably near the train station for ease. Coming mainly for the Christmas Markets from Nov 30-Dec 3.

Ruby Lisssi Hotel Vienna
Fleischmarkt 19 / Laurenzerberg 2, 01. Innere Stadt, 1010 Vienna, Austria

Singerstrasse 21/25 Apartments
Singerstraße 21-25, 01. Innere Stadt, 1010 Vienna, Austria

Posted by
1900 posts

to stay in the town center, preferably near the train station

That is a contradiction.

Both addresses are in the historic center (1st city borough, called Innere Stadt), which is walkable. They can be reached using the U1 metro directly from Wien Hbf (main train station).

Nevertheless you should get acquainted using Vienna's excellent public transport (metro [subway], tram, bus, etc.).

Vienna's center is circumferenced by the Ring boulevard, and outside of it by the so called inner boroughs (3rd to 9th), which in turn are circumferenced by the Gürtel (belt) boulevard.

Both major train stations for non-local trains are at the Gürtel, but easily reachable by public transport.

For efficient exploring Vienna, i.e. how to see a lot in short time, it is more important that your accommodation has good access to public transport than proximity to the historic center.

Posted by
5381 posts

I lived at Singerstrasse 21/25 for a month as transitional housing when I first moved to Vienna. Location is good and the facilities are nice, but it is not a hotel. It is intended as long stay apartments. Ruby Lissi is part of a new, exciting chain of hotels from Germany now expanding in Vienna. These hotels have character and charm, and they are hotels so you will mingle with other guests at the facilities as well as have a full staff. These are very different experiences in accommodation.

I would add that staying near the train station is a bad idea as these areas aren’t very nice. The public transportation system is excellent in Vienna as well.

Finally, the best Christmas markets are not in the first District, so you’ll need to be moving around anyway.

Posted by
293 posts

I recommend the Ruby- Sofie, just stayed there for a week Sept 25 thru 30. wonderful place, 3.5 blocks to Wien Mitte. great breakfast, nice people. I bet the ruby lisse is good too.