Please sign in to post.

Sound of Music tours

Hello. Will be in Salzburg in September and looking for reccomendations for SOM tours. Yes, I have heard that some/most don't take you to "true" sights...and yes, I want to do it anyways :). Thanks in advance!

Posted by
19092 posts

If you don't care if a tour takes you to any "true" site, most of them will do.

Posted by
7027 posts

Bob's tours get many recommendations. Definitely get one with a small group tour, they're much better than the big bus tours.

Posted by
1 posts

I was there in summer 2011 and took the SOM tour through Panorama Tours. It was a great time- we had a funny guide and enjoyed the relaxing drive and beautiful scenery through the lake district. We saw several things from the movie such as the gazebo and got to go in the wedding chapel. Mondsee, where the wedding chapel is, is a lovely little town with a nice lake you can walk around. If you have a couple days in Salzburg I think this tour is worth it. Enjoy!

Posted by
139 posts

We went on the Panorama Tours - large bus version - SoM tour last year and it was very enjoyable. Frankly though it went from enjoyable to VERY enjoyable because of our tour guide - Peter. He was not only funny and playful - but he filled the time with stories of Salzburg in addition to stories of the movie.

I mean really, where else can you ride around in a bus with Julie Andrews painted on all sides singing 'Do-Re-Mi' with 30 of your closest friends... :-)

Posted by
987 posts

I went on Bob's SOM tour and loved it. We had a group of 8 in a van and a good guide. In addition to the typical SOM stops, we stopped for strudel and in a cafe with beautiful views. We could have also stopped for a luge ride, but no one in our group wanted that stop. The van picked us up right at our hotel in the old town area.

Posted by
5835 posts

We did the Panorama Tour 1A during the winter (late January). The used a minivan with our guide doing the drivin -only 5 persons.

And the guide clearly separated fact from fiction.

Posted by
487 posts

We did the Fräulein Maria's bicycle tour and really enjoyed it. It does go rain or shine so we ended up getting wet with some light rain. The terrain is fairly flat and even though it has been awhile since I rode a bike I did not have any problems.

Posted by
25 posts

My daughter and I did the Fraulein Maria Bicycle tour this May. We loved it and you get to stop and see the sights where the movie was filmed as you bike. It's a lot of fun and one of my favorite things from our two week trip.

Posted by
226 posts

For those who may not want the official tour or who are penny-pinching, we did a self-guided walking and bike tour in June. Very fun.

You can see many of the sights in Old Town (cemetery, abbey, festival hall, Residenzplatz, etc.) following Rick's Salzburg city tour - with just a couple of deviations. You can catch Leopoldskron and Hellbrun (Gazeebo) using the city bikes rented at the waterfront near where Rick's walking tour begins. (Note, you need a separate credit card for each bike you rent (1-2 euro) - kind of dumb - but doable if you're prepared)

These sites list the locations and highlights and a map gets you there easily:
http://www.visit-salzburg.net/travel/soundofmusic_locations.htm
http://www.salzburg.info/en/art_culture/sound_of_music/shooting_locations

Planning your route can be half the fun...