Please sign in to post.

Schönbrunn palace

Hi, it will be our first time in Vienna this July. Can we do the Schönbrunn palace on our own or is it better to take a tour? Thanks.

Posted by
4856 posts

We've done Schonbrunn on our own twice using the audio guides. You can also download them onto your ipod or phone. We prefer doing it on our own so we can tour at our own pace.

Posted by
6788 posts

I didn't do a tour and did not feel like I had missed anything. It's a huge place!

Posted by
1904 posts

You have the choice between the standard tour and an extended tour covering even more rooms. I prefer using the audioguide, not only because I can walk my own pace, but I can cut off explanations I don't need or want. If you really listen to all texts provided for all rooms, including watching at the items described, you will need stamina and a lot of attention.

Posted by
733 posts

Thank you. We will definitely use the audio guide which I assume we will just rent there?

Posted by
5581 posts

I've been to Schonbrunn twice and both times have used the audio tour and found it quite good. A little knowledge ahead of time of the Hapsburgs is helpful. Schonbrunn is more about Maria Theresa, while the Hofburg, right in the city, covers more of Franz Joseph and Sisi. The gardens at Schonbrunn are very nice so save time for that. It can be busy, I would suggest arriving a bit before opening. I believe I got a combo ticket for the Hofburg and Schonbrunn which saved me money (and time for when I got to Schonbrunn)

Posted by
35 posts

Did the personal tour with the audio guide and that was fine. Liked it better that way as you could set your own pace which was definitely more enjoyable.

Want to echo the comments about the gardens. Probably spent more time in the gardens and would do it again. Make sure and stop by the cafe by the back of the maze.

Posted by
15582 posts

I was there about 8 years ago, so things may have changed but it was kind of a zoo to buy tickets at the entrance. The problem was that there were several ticket options depending on which parts of the sight you wanted to see. There were plenty of machines to buy tickets, but it was confusing to many, meaning people took a long time at them. I finally figured out that I wanted the whole shebang and which ticket that was, after that it was easy-peasy. My guess is that I could have done the research at home but didn't. I used the audio guide and it was fine. There was no photography permitted in any of the rooms so I bought CDs at the gift shop. The gardens are extensive and delightful. Allow plenty of time.