Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Question

Hi there,
I always get such great advice here, I'm hoping you can help me again with my planning.
My daughter(18) and I have 3 days in Salzburg in June. We'd definitely want to see Salzburg and some of the Sound of Music things, but mostly would love to be out in the beautiful nature there. We love hiking although won't have hiking boots with us (just sneakers) so hikes will need to be accordingly easy. I'd love to see a salt mine and the Eagles Nest also. I guess my questions are:
What area is the best for us to stay in? Outside of the city or in the city? Is there trains/busses we can take to our destinations while there, or should we rent a car? I'd rather just use public transportation if it will get us to our destinations. Do you have any hike suggestions?
I appreciate any adivce. :)

Posted by
2025 posts

I love staying right in the heart of town. Our first trip we were further out a bit, still walkable, but a ways. Then last year we stayed at the Alstadthotel Weisse Taube and absolutely loved it! That was a girls trip with my daughter and our son's girlfriend. We had the best time, and we all just adored that hotel. It is a perfect location, but is quiet, has spacious rooms, and a spacious bathroom. We just walked everywhere.

Posted by
413 posts

With only 3 days, I'd stay in Salzburg. A day for tromping around Salzburg, a long day visiting Konigsee and then hiking down from the Jennerbahn station, and a day to do whatever other stuff you want (Salt Mine, Document Center, more Salzburg sites, chilling drinking beer watching the Alps go by)

Posted by
4833 posts

...drinking beer watching the Alps go by)

Not sure I want a beer that potent.

Posted by
865 posts

Check on Hotel Krone 1512. They have a private apartment available that sits right on Linzer Gasse and Königsgäßchen. Great location and easy access to public transport and the old town. Take Bus 151 to the top of Gaisbergspitz where there are many trails as well as many bus stops along the way in case you want to just hike a while then bus down. All buses ultimately take you to the train station which will get you to Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
2406 posts

Check at the Hbf tourist office to see if they still have the combi ticket that covers train and bus transportation plus admission to the salt mine in Hallein.

Re-watch the Sound of Music just before your trip so you can identify scenes from the old town where your tour bus can’t drive but that you will see walking around. Be sure to visit the dwarf statues in Mirabell Gardens - a classic scene when the von Trapps were singing ‘Do-re-mi’

Posted by
206 posts

From Salzburg we caught a public bus to Berchtesgaden and did this tour of the Obersalzberg and the Eagle’s Nest.
Highly recommend it.

Salzburg is one of our favorite places. The fortress is a wonderful venue to admire the view from high up, and enjoy coffee and pastry. You can hike up or take a funicular. There are interesting exhibits at the fortress. Nice walking from the fortress to other sites along a relatively easy trail.