Please sign in to post.

Salzburg or Vienna

Traveling in May to Austria and will be mostly visiting the Alps and scenery but will have two days that i can spend in either one or the other of the above cities. Which do you recommend with just the limited amount of time.

Posted by
2902 posts

Salzburg is one of my favorite old towns. Very easy to navigate on foot also. Plenty to see and do and even more just outside the town.

Posted by
138 posts

Both are beautiful cities but I would pick Salzburg! It is smaller and quaint! I only spent a day there in 2015 and wish I could go back! And ... Paul from NYC, you helped me plan my trip to Germany and Salzburg back in 2014 and we followed your advice and had a marvellous time! It was my favorite trip of all!

Posted by
1172 posts

If you are mostly doing the Alps on your trip, I would switch it up and do Vienna. I just spent 4 days in Vienna 2 weeks ago and love it. I did do a 1 day trip out to Salzburg and it is gorgeous.

Posted by
4299 posts

I prefer Vienna-great museums there.

Posted by
2902 posts

Thank you for the compliment Joyce! We’ve visited Salzburg maybe five times. It never gets boring, always charming, esp. in the evening after dinner for strolls.

Posted by
15576 posts

2 nights (1 full day) or 2 days (3N)? Where do you go from there? Without knowing any details, I'd say whichever is closer to where you're coming from. With 2N, probably Salzburg, you can see it all in one day. Vienna needs more time.

Posted by
180 posts

We had to make that choice as well, and we just went through several youtube videos listing the top attractions in each city, and then chose the city that spoke to us.

We found there was more things in salzburg that excited us, and both my wife and I are musicians. If there was an opera during that time in Vienna that were were dying to see, that might have made up our mind the other way

Posted by
32198 posts

Bill,

I suppose the answer will depend on what type of sights you hope to see in Austria. Both cities are fantastic and have lots of historic and beautiful sights. However, I really like Salzburg and have been back there many times. It's a good "home base" for visiting Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt or other places in the area.

I don't think you can go wrong with either city, but Salzburg has a certain "unique charm" that appeals to me.

Posted by
3940 posts

Having spent 3 nights in Salzburg long ago ('10) and just had 5N in Vienna last year - with only two nights I'd prob pick Salzburg - it is very walkable and I think if I only had a few days in Vienna I'd prob leave frustrated by all the stuff I would have wanted to see and not had time for. I found our 2.5 days in Salz was fine.

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m leaning toward Salzburg now but may change my mind.

Posted by
4637 posts

If you haven't been there yet, then of course Vienna. It's a big city with much more to see.

Posted by
803 posts

Another vote for Salzburg! We loved the ambiance; it's smaller and easy to navigate; also took a bike tour which was great.