Please sign in to post.

Salzburg or Munich

Have 4 nights to split between Salzburg and Munich in July 2017. Any suggestions?

Posted by
32213 posts

Kevin,

Four nights is not much to see either city well but if you just want a brief look at both, how about splitting it at two nights each. That will allow about 1.5 days for sightseeing in each.

Are you returning home after that portion of your trip?

Posted by
597 posts

I am bias towards Salzburg so I would stay in old town and take a day trip to Munich.

Posted by
671 posts

We recently spent 2 nights in Munich, then took the train to Salzburg for 3 nights. Although we didn't see everything, we saw what was most important to us. One day in Salzburg was spent taking the bus to Berchtesgaden and taking the tour of Obersalzberg and the Eagle's Nest. So without that, we were able to see what we wanted to with 2 nights in Salzburg.

Posted by
32213 posts

Kevin,

Thanks for the additional information. One option would be to spend two nights in Munich and then two nights in Salzburg, and then travel by bus to Ljubljana. An alternative would be to reverse the order and travel from Munich to Ljubljana by train. There's a direct train departing Munich at 12:18, arriving Ljubljana at 18:32 (time 6H:14M). That's the one I used the last time I travelled that route and it worked well.

You could also look at Go Opti or Bla Bla Car shared vehicles from either Munich or Salzburg.