Please sign in to post.

Salzburg in December

We are going to be in Salzburg in December for 3 nights for the Christmas market. We visited Salzburg a number of years ago during Octoberfest (wonderful) and took a Salzkammergut tour. Would you suggest doing the Salzkammergut tour in December? I'm thinking it would be gorgeous if there is snow. What about Hellbrunn? I've seen photos of the gardens there in winter and they look awesome as well. Other suggestions? Sorry in advance for any misspellings. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Mary

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Mary,

We visited Salzburg and the Salzkammergut in early Dec. 2010 and early Dec. 2013. We had some snow on both trips and it just added to the holiday/Christmas atmosphere. Even if you've been to Salzburg before (we had been 5 or so times), it's simply magical during this time of year. Check the days of the week for the markets in St. Gilgen and Strobl on the Wolfgangsee. They are normally open Thur. - Sun., but the old town of St. Wolfgang will have them open everyday. Also check the operating days and times of the lake ships.

http://advent.wolfgangsee.at/en/

If interested, we have photo's of our visits to the Christmas markets at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets

Paul

Posted by
2427 posts

Thanks for the info, Paul. I am soooo looking forward to this trip. My husband and I are both photographers and hope to get some really good shots. It should be spectacular.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Mary,

You do know it will be cold, especially at night. Layers, a good warm jacket and gloves are essential. While we didn't bring boots with us, we bought the Kiwi water proof spray at Wal-Mart and did our shoes a few days before leaving. The best thing we brought with us... Wool socks. again, got them at Wal-Mart. Having warm, dry feet makes all the difference. Be prepared for anything. We had misty days, perfectly clear blue sky days and snow days. We also had cold days, cool days and even a couple of days that were warm enough so we wore just a long sleeve shirt with no jacket at all.

We had traveled mostly in October to Austria and Bavaria, but due to work in 2010, had to go Thanksgiving week and the following week. Loved it. So much so that we did it again in 2013. Snow, lights, decorated Christmas trees everywhere, stalls selling ornaments, woodcarvings, etc., the smell of food and chestnuts cooking outside. Fires to warm up next to. Choirs singing in front of the church in Salzburg. Crowds of people enjoying the hot mulled wine and hot chocolate. The Christmas atmosphere is incredible. If these places don't put you in the holiday spirit, nothing ever could. If you like spicy, try a Bosna sandwich in Salzburg. For souvenirs, we took home the coffee mugs that the hot chocolate and wine came in. When you buy a drink, you can pay an extra 2 Euro and keep the mug, which is beautiful. You'll see. We have a collection of them, as every town and even the different markets in the same town have a unique logo or graphic on their mugs.

Paul

Posted by
2427 posts

Thanks, Paul. Yes we do know it will be cold and will be bringing thermals and wool socks, etc. We live 45 minutes from Lake Tahoe and the Sierras where we cross country ski and snow shoe at 8,000 to 9,000 feet. We're also from New England originally so we're not strangers to cold wet weather.

We are so excited about this trip and already thinking of the photo ops. We can't wait. :)

Thanks for your help.

Mary