Please sign in to post.

Salzburg hotel

I am wondering whether anyone has stayed at The Hotel Kroner recommended in RS book. We are a family of 4 and there are two options for apartments that they offer. One is at the hotel on Linzer Gasse 7, but the other one is in the district Mulln. I am wondering if Mulln is too far away from the city center and activities.

Posted by
6 posts

Oh my - yes it is. I guess I will look for something else. I have been looking on airbnb for an apartment because there are 4 of us, but it seems there are a lot of add-on fees (i.e. $20 per person per night over the 1st person) - cleaning fees - it can easily add $100 per night to the listed cost. I thought it might be nice to be in the center of town and activities but maybe staying further out may be nice option. We will have a car, however I was thinking about turning our rental car in for those 3 or 4 days and re-renting when we left but I haven't looked in to the cost of that yet.

Posted by
177 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Krone 1512 last October 7-9, 2016. We were on the 3rd (4th USA) floor and room was very nice. It was like a small apartment. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was quite big and the room faced the street. It is very close to everything, just a 10 minute walk over the river to Old Town. Since the weather was cool we did not have the windows open a lot but when we did the smoke was no issue (did not smell anything). We did not go into the bar because the smoke in there was bad but expected. The receptionist does seem to have a lot of things to do, running breakfast in the morning (which we did not do so can not comment on that) and the bar at night. Everyone was very friendly and no issues with payment. They called a cab for us when we left and they were there in 5 minutes. We will stay there again if we return to Salzburg.

Posted by
32212 posts

I've stayed at the Krone 1512 a couple of times over the years and have no complaints. I believe it changed hands between my stays. On my last visit I was given a room on the third or fourth floor at the back of the hotel, so I didn't notice much noise from the bar. I also found the cigarette smoke in the bar to be dreadful, so I didn't set foot in the place.

I wasn't driving so didn't have to deal with that. I used a Taxi from the station (much easier!). As I recall, there's an underground car park not far from the hotel.

In my experience, the staff were very pleasant. One guy seemed to be handling the front desk, bartender and breakfast duties. I was quite impressed with the complete breakfast that they provided. In addition to the usual items (bread, cereal, juices, cheese, cold meats, etc.), the staff member would prepare eggs to order (Omelette, scrambled eggs) and if desired this was served with a glass of Champagne. He must have been trained as a Chef as the eggs were cooked and served very quickly.

I have no complaints and would certainly stay there again.

Posted by
7 posts

We just stayed at the Hotel Krone about two weeks ago. We, too, are a family of 4. We asked for an upper room with a view of the courtyard because of the smoke issues. When we arrived, we had to enter through the very busy and smokey bar. The clientele was not a family friendly bunch. I felt uncomfortable walking my daughters through the bar, and they're city-savvy. The public areas of the hotel could use some sprucing up and the door into our room was dirty with handprints, but the room itself was spacious and clean. The view into the courtyard was beautiful.

We had two big issues during our stay - the smoke and the lack of a front desk person in the late afternoon/evening. We could smell smoke throughout the building from the bar. Although you get a lot more smokers in Europe than the U.S., this was the only hotel we were in where it was so pervasive. As for the staff, not having anyone manning the desk in the late afternoon and evening is a problem when you need to ask basic questions. We ended up going out to a hotel down the street for help with basic details on a bus schedule. Venturing into a loud, smokey bar was out of the question.
The price was reasonable for Salzburg, but don't know if I'd stay here again.

Posted by
1 posts

My wife and I just stayed at Hotel Krone July 20-23, 2017 and would recommend it for travelers looking to save a few euro. Our room was on the 3rd level over the street and while the café noise could be loud the fan in the room masked it; we didn't have any problem with cigarette smoke. The staff was fabulous, very friendly and when we left something behind made sure it was mailed to us. We really enjoyed the patio on the 3rd level at the hotel, it was a perfect place to have a drink from the hotel bar after a day of touring. The location was excellent, easy walking distance from everything, including the railroad station. The building is old and a little rough around the edges but if you can look past a bit a worn carpet and the need for a coat of paint you will enjoy your stay there.