Please sign in to post.

Salzburg for a day

My husband and I will be in Salzburg for 1 day/night and would love some suggestions for 'must dos' in this city. We would love to stay longer, but our itinerary is tight so we will have to maximize our time. We like museums, being outside, good food/beer, and biking. We will be staying in town.

Thank you!

Posted by
5835 posts

You can't go too wrong filling Rick Steve's guide book recommendations. I enjoyed the walking around Old Town tour combined with the castle visit.

Posted by
5678 posts

j would recommend that you take the tram up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. It's a great tour and the views are wonderful. You can choose to walk back down to town, which can take you past the gates that were used for the Convent scenes in the Sound of Music. I enjoyed the cathedral and walking through the cemetery. The squares and streets of old town are quite nice. I did not go to Mozart's birthplace, but rather went to the Residence. It was an interesting tour as well. There were lots of instruments!

Pam

Posted by
16893 posts

Since most Salzburg sightseeing doesn't need reservations, you can have a pretty relaxed, flexible day. I have appreciated Rick's star rating system in the book or online to help set priorities. I probably would not devote a half-day to a Sound of Music tour, or at least have not done so in two visits.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would agree with Laura about the SOM tour. I did go on it and loved it, but I had two full days in Salzburg. If you have just a single day, there is plenty to see and do in the city centre and yet also places to stop and enjoy your surroundings. I'll always remember ten minutes I spent just listening to some musicians playing behind the cathedral. It was great.

Pam